Coach Jack Plan Questions

Hey team! I was wondering whether the coach Jack plans would work nicely alongside a running and swimming plan? I’m training for a triathlon you see! Do they also do a base phase so I can focus on my aerobic? Lastly, can the plans be used in applications like zwift?

Thanks!

Hi, so if I remember correctly you are more towards the beginner end or returning athlete end of the spectrum. Starting as a triathlete is a very challenging goal. Your idea of starting with base is a good one. Most triathletes struggle with over-training or being on the edge of over training and this is especially true when you start increasing the amount you train, which as just starting out you fall into. So you need to manage training stress. There are 3 primary methods for doing that.

1. Closely monitoring yourself and watching for signs such as poor sleep or mood. There are many such signs.
  2. Using HRV (heart rate variability) or night time resting heart rate.
  3. Performance manamgment chart (PMC) by TrainingPeaks or Intervals.icu

A lot of people use all 3 methods to determine if they can increase training or need to reduce. This is your #1 priority. Most people should start with low heart rate training, and for running outdoors that might include a fair amount of walking in the beginning. For cycling especially indoors it is a lot easier…

That said Zwift is a great, fun platform for many people and yes you can use Coach Jack plans or any TrainerDay workouts or plans in Zwift. The simplest is to create a TrainingPeaks account and connect it to TrainerDay and Zwift and usin our calendar and sync it there. But there are many options available. The problem I find with Zwift is that for doing base training in ERG mode you have to go very slow and it drives you crazy to see everyone pass you and not riding by feel. The fun of Zwift is going faster and pushing yourself. Some serious Zwifters might use Coach Jack plans in Zwift just so they earn the extra points or they just prefer that visual stimulation and can ignore the fact that everyone is passing them that they know they are faster than.

Generally Coach Jack plans are good for triathletes. That might be the base plans or the build plans as you get stronger and better at handling training intensity without falling apart.