Coming back after Covid

Hi all I have been down with Covid since last weekend and was wondering about when I come back to the bike.
I am 65 years old and have raced MTB in the past, but nothing for the last 3 years.
Should I pickup where I left off or just skip the missed workouts and carry on. I have been doing a base phase plan and am about half way through.
I have also been using the Tour of Zwift as an alternative to the workouts on some days. I don’t have any planed races this year as of right now.
Any help would be much appreciated.

I would definitely recommend taking it slow and seeing how you feel. COVID hits some people really hard and it can take some time to recover. Your long term health and well being is what is paramount.

1 Like

I 100% agree with this come back super slow. Do 40% recovery rides and watch Netflix build slowly into endurance rides but do it by feel, avoid too much too soon or you may extend your COVID recovery period.

When you start feeling close to perfect start adding in short amounts of intensity for 2-weeks to a month. The coach jack non-base plans start mild but I would do a custom one with only one day of our sweet spot progressions for example. They start easy.

Go easy, and check your heart rate. If you find out that it’s too high compared to what it used to be at the same power output, take extra days to recover.
I got sick one month ago (don’t know what it was, I never tested for covid - or anything else), and two weeks after, when I came back on the trainer, my HR was at least 15bpm higher than before :open_mouth: It took me another week for it to go down to an acceptable level.

1 Like

Okay thanks guys. I am still feeling a little poopoo so I will wait until tomorrow and try a little 10-15 minute spin to see how things feel.

Might try using the HR target option in the app vs ERG. I had a sinus infection last year and had similar effects as you; tough time getting back to form. It’ll come just give it time.