How often to Ramp Test

Hi Alex!

So, I have my ride in July and my plan from Coach Jack. So, how often should I test using say the TD Ramp Test? Does Coach Jack schedule them into the plan? Should the test just be added into the plan as an extra workout or should they be substituted for certain rides in the plan at certain points in the plan? Thanks for yours and others thoughts!

Ramp test frequency really depends on the user and where they are in their periodization and how they feel. Our plans are very specific sequences and the ramp test in themselves are not adding much value to these sequences.

That said If someone is just coming back from a long break or for a beginner more frequent tests (monthly) are probably a good idea but if you have been training very consistently for a while then it is less important how often (8-12 weeks?).

We do want to give the option to add them in but it’s up to you. I like to do them when I feel like I am progressing. Generally the are best fit in the middle of the recovery week.

1 Like

To add to this. Is there an option to update your FTP in an existing training plan so that your workouts are adjuested up or down accordingly?

1 Like

As a general rule of thumb, which suits most recreational cyclists and works well, I recommend doing a test at the beginning of the season, another in the middle and another shortly before the end. But as Alex said it all depends on the rider’s experience and how he feels throughout the season. If you feel strong and you see that the training is being very easy, it may be time to take a test. If, on the contrary, they are being challenging enough, it would not be necessary.

2 Likes

Actually if you are using our app it will happen automatically when you change your FTP. If you are using Garmin, then you would have to delete the workouts in Garmin and resend them after updating your FTP.

1 Like

Perfect advice. I think for most riders 3 tests like this is perfect and add one after a exceptional training period if it does not fall into one of those 3.