[COMPLETED] - Please allow creating structured HR workouts

Yes so first a slope segment and then an hr segment, this will be launched soon. For now you probably will need to inject a 1 minute ERG or possibly slope recovery segment between which will allow hr mode to not have the slow ramp drop. Your use case is perfect!!! And makes total sense to me :slight_smile:

Exactly, I use a lower slope segment. I set my granny gear at the beginning and then just work to the slope. Happy to do that to reduce my HR to a “reasonable” level when the HR mode can take over for fine tuning. Makes sense.

1 Like

I would like you to explain how HR mode works at the end of my training. I have attached a printscreen.

After the warm-up, i.e. 10 minutes after the start, I switch to HR mode.
As you can see, the application corrects the power and everything works OK.

At the very end, the last 5 minutes, we have a block where the power is turned off (This is not visible on this chart, but in the wizard table the power in this segment is set from 106 to 80 W.) As you can see, there is a power peak at the very beginning of the block.
Quite an unpleasant feeling.

In the planned upgrade of the application, where it will be possible to set the HR mode in the table, will it work without this power peak?
Regards. I like your application.

I don’t exactly understand what your problem is/was, but I also don’t know how you did this down ramp (it looks like ERG mode). We don’t do anything special at the end. Also adding HR auto-switch in our editor should be next week.

Sorry I didn’t include this wizard table. The last block is programmed to descend, but after training it is displayed as if it were a constant ERG.

Oh yes, that looks like some kind of bug, we will see if we can reproduce this. You could actually set the type to ERG on that last interval now and it should switch to ERG automatically. But as I said next week at the latest the week after we will also have HR mode.

1 Like

Can you send a link to this completed activity from our website? Also does it look the same in the app history?

Here is the link below.

https://app.trainerday.com/activities/6547c5aecb0274af0e2d8063

1 Like

Here is a screenshot from the iPad below.

This should all be done / fixed and everything working. Android version is available now, but Apple later today. Next it should be on to HR mode 2.0 which allows more rapid power increases on interval changes as right now it will be slow adjustments. It should work perfect for steady state Z2 including ERG warmup ramps for example and long intervals that a slow rise in power is acceptable.

2 Likes

I would like advice on how and where to switch to HR 2.0 mode
I use an iPad for training

I don’t know what HR 2.0 is but if you mean our HR mode, just click on quick start, make sure HR monitor and smart trainer are connected. Press HR. Press + to get to your target HR. Pedal.

Post earlier you wrote:
This should all be done / fixed and everything working. Android version is available now, but Apple later today. Next it should be on to HR mode 2.0 which allows more rapid power increases on interval changes as right now it will be slow adjustments. It should work perfect for steady state Z2 including ERG warmup ramps for example and long intervals that a slow rise in power is acceptable.

It shows that there is HR 2.0 mode

Oh sorry that was not clear. “Next it should be on to HR mode 2.0” means this is currently HR mode 1.0 and next we should start working on 2.0… We have not started this yet. But this is actually a continuation of that discussion.

I thought it was about changes to the algorithm and they were already implemented.
:slight_smile:
Good luck working on the improved HR mode.

It was a cryptic message :slight_smile: I can see how you thought this. Yes, it’s more likely to come in January, but as I pointed out in the other thread when designing your own workouts you can accomplish fast transitions using ERG mode. After ERG, HR mode starts at the ending ERG target. If you need a clearer, visual explanation let me know.

Please look at this.
I created a simple training in the creator, as shown in the attached printscreen. The last 3 minutes involve lowering the ERG power, but under HR control.

I am also attaching a printscreen from the completed training, and a link to it Trainer Day

I have the following observations about this last fragment, these last 3 minutes:

1. Despite setting a power drop in the last 3 minutes of training - which can be seen in the wizard - after completion, the graphs do not show this drop. It looks as if constant power was set. It seems to me that this error has been present for a long time.
  2. The last 3 minutes of training do not reduce power. In my opinion this is a mistake. I read somewhere in the descriptions of the HR mode that HR works like a limiter. So in this case, if a power drop is set, this power should be reduced. However, the lack of reductions seems as if HR was the target.

Something else: whether it’s a global setting in the app, this HR-T value has some influence on the power control behavior if you create a workout using the wizard.

You would need to type “erg” in the type for the last interval for it to drop down with power control or it just stays in HR mode. Power target used to affect HR intervals but that was a bug, power target is just a visual reference for HR intervals. If you wanted it to drop you either put ERG or change your target HR to 115 or something. Putting “erg” is safer.

1 Like

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I was discussing what the best workout would be for maximum VO2max stimulus with a friend and we came up with “the one that has you over 90% of HRmax for the longer amount of time, regardless of power”.

So I was wondering if anyone tried a structured HR workouts but more geared towards high intensity. Something like a 5*4’ in HR mode at 180bpm with rest periods of 2 minutes (probably in ERG mode) in between for example? The idea would be to even allow to fall back to zone 4 power if needed to allow for longer intervals at 90%+ HR.

I am likely to start the interval around 140bpm, so I am wondering how it would go about raising that to 180bpm, will it be almost impossibly hard at first? Same thing for the rest period, it would probably drop the resistance to zero right after the interval until the HR starts to drop (hence why ERG for rest is probably best). Or do we think it’s not possible to achieve something like this?

Some where on this forum someone is doing zone 4 HR but I don’t remember who.

I would say you should create short erg based intervals, say 30 seconds long at what you believe is the power you can sustain at 90% of HR and that will set the base power for the starting point that interval. See example below. You will have to play around with it to get the perfect values for you. Because the intervals you are suggesting are a borderline length from an HR adjustment standpoint that means daily fluctuations in HR will be not accounted for perfectly (meaning the power average for the interval will might be a bit over or under), so the advantage of HR training is reduced slightly as compared to just power intervals that hit you at your 90% HR max, but it’s still an interesting test. Personally I would do ERG interval starts a bit under your target which if you have an off day does not shoot you over but really this is trial and error.

1 Like