Continuous Glucose Monitor

It depends if Consultant would consider 175 to a spike, and I don’t believe that they would, which is way diabetic screening is always done fasted, 175 (I expect) would not be considered a spike, but just the difference between insulin production and absorption / sugar digestion, there is latency between the two, there was a lot of discussion on the TR forum and similar posts, and a consultant chimmed in, but can’t find it right now, supposed to be working :slight_smile:

I have seen different info regarding spikes but this article says many interesting points.

According to the International Diabetes Federation (IDF) guidelines for managing post-meal glucose levels, nondiabetic people should have a glucose level of no higher than 140 mg/dl after meals, and glucose should return to pre-meal levels within 2-3 hours. I don’t know if a coke is considered a meal :slight_smile:

What should your glucose levels be? Here's the ultimate guide to healthy blood sugar ranges - Levels.

Here they did some coke testing :slight_smile: with their staff.

2 of 11 are above 150 with post coke activity but we don’t know how healthy these 11 are.

Just be careful, you are referencing material that is aimed at diabetics, and they have a tailored diet

I don’t know if a coke is considered a meal

I think you know the answer to that

Even though a diabetic is guideline to 140, 270mg/dl after a meal (especially in a T1) is normal and acceptable as long as the HBA1c is within good levels

Anyway, sorry but this isn’t a discussion that I really want to get into, so excuse my rudeness but I’m going to disappear now

You did not sound rude at all, and I fullly appreciate your insights. I also can appreciate this is not a subject you want to spend any negative thoughts/energy on. I did not mean it to arrouse that. That article is referencing non-diabetics so I was trying to do the same. They happen to reference an IDF view point. Obviously to both of us is that T1 is a whole different world.

My continued belief here follows many popular diets and suggestions that people need to take health into their own hands and doctors will typically wait until someone is diabetic before providing glucose related advice (usually lose weight and take medicine).

The new trending belief that I am onboard with is trying to catch glucose and insulin problems earlier can significantly improve peoples lives. Doctors don’t seem to be doing this. I also think when you think you might have a problem the best course of action is to see a doctor. In this example looking beyond a fasted glucose level test and taking a glucose tollerance test would be a good idea in my point of view. I am only advocating, eating better, losing weight and seeing a doctor to do more tests earlier. A CGM might inspire many people, but as you point out also might confuse you and make you a hypochondriac.

I am just presenting thoughts that might help someone in the future, not trying to argue anything. I think more awareness to glucose related health problems is important.

1 Like

Last post !!!

Just to be clear, I don’t disagree with you, more vigilance / understand can only be a good thing, my only concern is that once you go looking for dragons, you are sure to find them, eating disorders are on the ride amongst amateur athletes, mainly because you aren’t underweight, you are a good climber (if you catch my drift) and without the correct analysis / understanding of what is being presented, more harm than good can happen (under fueling as you don’t want to go above 7.0 / reinforcing weight loss), and as a society we already ignore health markers such as cholesterol and body fat , because “it won’t happen to me / I’m fine”, which could be argued to be of higher importance, and athletes tend to have a obsessive nature, HR should be 220 - Age, anything higher becomes a health risk, my fear is that un-guided blood glucose monitoring will just create more dragons to find, not that blood glucose monitoring is a bad thing

Anyways, enjoy, think that’s all I’ve got anyway :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes you are 100% right. And don’t respond any more!!! :slight_smile:

In this last case, I am talkikng about exactly the same problem from a different angle. In ride non-stop sugar or heavily processed carbs to improve performance for amateurs. Or carb loading before every group ride. The dragon in this case is the infamous “bonk.” Ultimately choosing what they believe is helping their cycling performance instead of a health focused approach. In reality it probably makes a small difference if they can fix their metabolism / fat > glucose distrobution usage issues.

There are studies showing that higher childhood sugar consumption leads to adult obessity. High sugar or processed carbs in your 20s and 30s might not have immediate impact but could it also have long term affects…

1 Like