HR Mode working like ERG (COMPLETED) - Perfect for Zone 2 HR training. Pedal and forget

So read and comprehended your suggestion now :slight_smile: Previously read it a few times but was not in the mental space to fully pay attention. So yes, I think our solution is similar but even more simple from our app/code perspective. We just take a mid-point say 80% of threshold and if it is ±2% we don’t do anything. If it is too high we go down by up to 5% every 30 seconds, if it is too low we go up by up to 5% every 1 minute. So it will adjust very slowly but for the purpose of this, I think it will work for most people. We just start at 40% of FTP. Now for some people 40% might be too low. An interesting “feature” is if you start in ERG mode for 20 seconds and set your baseline power it will take that as the starting point rather than 40%. This might not be obvious to people it works this way unless they read this forum post but basically switching on HR mode just continues from where you started.

1 Like

Ok HR mode is here in it’s most basic form for now. It does not work with interval training yet. And it only works in quick start mode. It starts at 40% of FTP and builds until it gets to your target making adjustments every 60 seconds. Remember 70% is not 70% of max HR but 70% of threshold HR. We can make changes to this, just wanted to get V1 out there.

2 Likes

Tried this saturday, very promising, I like, but I seem to be having a issue with my threshold hr, in the web app it’s set to 172 (keep changing it between 171 and 172 to see if that helps), in the mobile app (iOS) go to settings and it’s 110, I edit it to 172/1 and go back, it’s 110 again

I think this is messing up how this feature works as I have to manually adjust the target, as the starting HR is less than my “sitting on a bike HR”

Strange, ok, we will test this.

Yep, my guys verified this. We will get it fixed ASAP.

1 Like

used this again last night, knowing that the HR target was out, I set it manually from the start, I also had to adjust my %changes as they were a little to big a jumps

All i can say is this is a freckin brilliant app, worked brilliantly, even when I stopped for a pee it recovered nicely without jumping the intensity through the roof, love it

It does seem to crash Zwift though, wanted to ride Zwift for the LeCol 8848 challenge, and it’s the second time that when I’ve stopped, Zwift has crashed (hard freeze), not your problem, just thought I’d mention it

A post was split to a new topic: Please allow creating structured HR workouts

While the European days are getting shorter, I finally found the time to try the HR training. It’s A.M.A.Z.I.N.G !!! This will make my winter work.

The “fun” fact of my workout : in the middle of the session, I’m getting a phone call from my son. I picked up the phone, had to switch of the ventilator because of the noise. I kept on going. I started sweating like a pig. So : my HR was going up. In an ERG based Zone2 workout, I would have had to stop. Out of curiosity, I kept on going. When the phone call was done, I put the ventilator back on. My temperature went down, my HR went down and the power went back up. I perfectly stayed in Zone2…

2 Likes

Super cool. Nice story.