I am finishing the Italian Plan what should I do next?

Cool :slight_smile: We are starting this notifications feature that gives you the “main work” in text format either daily or weekly. That should be done in the next month…

You can for sure inject this main work into longer rides. I would say that is recommened, at least that’s how pros train. Andrea frequently puts secondary work before main work, or has extended warmups so I don’t see this as a problem either. Probably not best to put it at the end as you are starting to get tired.

Make sure you take it easy enough so that you feel fresh when starting your intervals and can focus on doing them in top quality but other than that you are pretty fine to do them in the best location on your ride. Find the perfect hill. Finding routes near you that hit the perfect place to do your workout is ideal. We designed our Coach Jack workouts in Garmin so your warmup can be as long as you want and you hit the lap button when you are ready to start your main work for example.

1 Like

Don’t worry about the notifications, I think that I can do without. But, hey, if others are interested…

What if you got a sunday notification like this.

Hi GoustiFruit, Coach Jack here. Your total weekly hours ~7:00 hrs. Here are this weeks workouts.

Tuesday - 2:15 - Dynamic Force #7

• Warm-up
  • 2 X 30s@120% (50-60 RPM) ~90s rests
  • seconday work averaging 80% of FTP
  • Skills: …

Thursday - 1:30 - Threshold #7

• Warm-up
  • 2 X 3m@100% ~3m rests
  • seconday work averaging 80% of FTP
  • Skills: … Focus on smooth pedal strokes during your main work intervals

Saturday - 4:00 - Long Ride

• Warm-up
  • Try to average about 73% Z2/Z3 in general
  • Skills: Just have fun, listen to the sounds and enjoy the ride

I think getting these by SMS or IM so you can quickly find them (not email). Would make it very useful.

2 Likes

You know, I’m already using intervals.icu, so every morning I check the calendar and I know what sauce I’m going to be eaten that day.

The problem is Intervals does not know what this CJ written description for the main work is.

If you pushed your CJ plan to intervals.icu we could include this description does that help? The point being what is the easiest way to see what your main work itntervals are. You are 20 minutes into your warmup and opening up intervals.icu to see the text description of your main work intervals seems is not the easiest way. If you could just open up say open up your messages and see coach jack message to see this description seems easier.

I realize you might want to manager your calendar in Intervals, that is completely understandable, I am saying what is the easist way to read these when on a ride. You are saying copying and pasting to notes. That seems a bit painful so getting it in a message seems like an upgrade to that. I am really brainstorming here and the optiimum solution might require David and I to do something together.

Secondly for example if you used the intervals.icu WOD in our app and we pushed the description to intervals and you could see in our app on the plan page, then you just open our app and it is the first thing you see. Since David does not have a moible app, again I fully recognize this problem just trying to find a great solution that we might actually be able to do quickly (not just for you, but for outdoor riders that don’t want to follow a garmin/wahoo in general)

I really like this idea. Is there anyway for it to be pushed as a notification on my phone? I seem to forget what needs to be done each day/week due to work/wife/kids/school/etc so this would be great for me.

1 Like

I do too :slight_smile: we will use telegram for the first version of this so yes you can manage notifications as you please. We also will let people decide if they want weekly Sunday notifications or day of workout notifications and you can specify the time.

Uh, I already have the workouts’ description in intervals.icu ! At least, the “Authors description”. I don’t know about the “Text description” or “Interval description” as the workouts I got from CJ only included the “Authors” ones.

Anyway, I’m still using Xert, so I can import my daily workouts and “play” them in it. There is a “Pause/Resume” button, it will record my whole ride - GPS and data from my sensors - while allowing me to play the workout whenever I want. Or if I ever stop Xert’s subscription, there is another option, Jepster: a bit more complicated to use, because there are so many screens and data fields, but it can also play imported workouts…

This is great. When will we be able to use this feature?

It should not take too long to get first version out but just started dev on it today so probably at least a couple weeks.

Yeah that’s a different description then the one I provided above. The one above is specific for making outdoor intervals simple. Oh, yes if you are using Xert app outdoors then you can just follow the workouts there. I guess importing the all the files is a bit painful? If you have a good workflow it’s fine. I was just looking at your initial comments and trying to solve a problem. Our Ant+ functionality is finishing up now so outdoor recording in our app development will hopefully start soon.

The problem is that most (if not all ?) of the Android devices don’t use Ant+ anymore : it was enabled until Android 8.x, they (Google ?) disabled it from Android 9.x. For what reason ? Mystery !
So, if people want to use Ant+ on their recent smartphone, they have to find extra tools… My smartphone has an USB OTG port, so I can plug an adaptor, then an Ant+ key, and it does the work (also need to install some firmware/app from Google Play Store); but then I can’t use that port to charge my phone on longer rides ! I have an external battery on my top-tube, connected to my phone and cam, so… unless I get a smartphone with an extra large battery (Doogee S59 for ex., 10000 mAh), unless I get a cycling computer with BT and Ant+ abilities (but that would also require me to bring my phone for extra functionality !), unless I get a cycling computer that also allows running Android apps (the only one I know is Karoo), unless I find a very old smartphone, still working !, with Android 8.x…

We are using Ant+ in Android 10/11 in our testing It’s not a problem of the Android version it is the problem of the new phones have stopped supporting it. I think there are many decent phones that still work but you are right going forward it relies on a dongle and then you can’t charge it. Why can’t you use Bluetooth? Ant+ only devices?

You can go here and click on the manufacturer and see all the supported phones
https://www.thisisant.com/consumer/ant-101/ant-in-phones

How are you using Xert?

I’m using BT, but once you link one device to one app, it’s exclusive, you can’t link it to another.

For longer rides, and rides on new roads, I like to use RideWithGPS. It’s great (the best !) for navigation directions, and I think, the only app that connects to the Garmin Varia devices, with BT. I would also link my powermeter and heart rate monitor to RideWithGPS, but then, I wouldn’t be able to link them to training apps, like TD. My sensors all have dual BT/Ant+ connectivity, but my phone doesn’t, anymore :sob:
So, if I want to run several apps having simultaneous access to my sensors, the only solution is with Ant+.
Oh, I miss those days, when my old Redmi Note 3 Pro was fully functional ! I’m currently thinking of buying a second hand one…

And I connect my PM(s) and HRM in BT to Xert. And run RideWithGPS together, but only with my Varia. BTW, Xert is also compatible with Varia, but only with Ant+ !

Really, I don’t understand who, and why, they decided to remove the Ant+ technology from the phones :confused:

RideWithGPS is super great!!! I totally agree. I just use the website not the app but I like it. I have not tested this but I thought it was possible that two apps on the same device could both connect to bluetooth at the same time. I think this is bluetooth 5 feature. I don’t exactly know how it works but I know people have done it. But now I clearly understand your problem. I will keep thinking about it. Yeah probably Ant+ users are 0.1% of the new smart phone users.

Since you are using XERT: I can recommend using the XERT workout player (only available on Garmin tho) and uploading the TrainerDay .fit workout (which they semi-recently enabled). The player makes sure, that you meet the prescribed training load, even is if the intervals are not a perfect fit…

I also like your idea to push this easy text to intervals.icu!

1 Like