Import activities from TD app to Garmin Connect

Actually we are talking about rider activities not planned workouts, the same as what is sent to Strava.

Thanks – my apologies for misunderstanding what the thread was referring to

Absolutely! Do you think this will be possible in future? I’d love to see my TrainerDay completed workouts in Garmin Connect.

1 Like

I have a friend that works at Garmin and he says it requires VP level approval to add new training apps to sending them activity data so until they change this policy or we get much bigger, probably not.

Just want to add that downloading the completed activity file from TD website (.fit or .tcx) does import the activity in GC but does not award completion for challenges.

2 Likes

Hi, yes it is possible ! But I believe there is only one way, for me it works. You have to import your activity file *.fit on garmin connect and then you can see your activity data on your garmin connect such as heart rate, power, cadence, etc.

I find the simplest way is just to dual record, I’ve got TD set to not upload to TP and it doesn’t uploaded to Garmin Connect, you have to remember to press record on the gamin before you start pedalling but apart from that no issues

I do this as I wanted the Vitality points and GC record is the best way to get my free apple watch

1 Like

Even if you manually import fit file, it won’t update training status unless you change the source to Garmin edge using fitfilestools site. Tedious, in fact.

There is a way, but it requires a bit of manual work.

Since the only way to use Garmin Connect is to have one of their devices, record any activity (it doesn’t have to be cycling) with your Garmin device and sync it to Garmin Connect. Then export that activity to a tcx file.

Open the tcx file from an editor (notepad, notepad++, …) and locate the xml section ‘creator’, which for me looks something like this:

<Creator xsi:type="Device_t">
     <Name>xx-Your device-xx</Name>
     <UnitId>xx-Your unit serial number-xx</UnitId>
   </Creator>

The section may be longer or shorter for your device. In any case, save it somewhere as you will need it.

Go to Trainer Day and Export the TD activity you want to import into Garmin Connect as a tcx file.

Open the exported tcx from an editor (notepad, notepad++, …) and after the ‘Lap’ section (after the </Lap> tag) add the Creator section you saved.

Save the modified tcx file and import it into Garmin Connect.

Activity imported this way will count towards Garmin Challenges.

I’m a bit of a developer, so I automated these steps with a little app I made myself, but anyhow - it takes only a few minutes to do everything manually.

Garmin’s limitation is pretty strange, since the only way to have Garmin Connect is to have a Garmin device!? So why is there a limit?

2 Likes

If @Alex would add that Name and UnitId to settings which will allow us to export fake tcx, then it would be great :slight_smile: I know, that only a log on Zwift counts, otherwise it did not happen, but I like my GC Calendar more… :slight_smile:

Oh yes, I was thinking about that but forgot. We will do that :slight_smile: I will put it on my feature list so I don’t forget but it still make take a month or more.

3 Likes

please notify me when it will be possible to automatically synchronize activities with Garmin. Thank you

if I understand your question, this should be the request that you are referring to?

1 Like

and this

Yes It would be the solution to the problem without having to pay other platforms to do it
or register the activity with the edge

The problem is Garmin is not allowing small companies to do this. We are not willing to hack their rules to do it as we value that relationship with them. But I guess when we are as big as Zwift or TrainerRoad then we might have some power to make this happen :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, then at least to allow us to edit Name and UnitId to make fit files compatible. I am not using it right now, so I don’t know if it is possible or not, but in few months I will… just paying for subscription.

I don’t understand what you are saying. If you use our app, when you save it you can change the name of the workout. But we will test this fit file process more and make it is simple as possible before winter :slight_smile:

Import activities from TD app to Garmin Connect - #26 by Vule and few lines below you have mentioned that it is on your feature list

7 posts were split to a new topic: Does TrainerDay send completed activities to Wahoo?