SFR (Italian Plan - Low RPM workout)

I did my first SFR workout today and I experienced a strange behavior of my Tacx Neo. During the SFR intervals with 40 RPM I couldn‘t reach the target power (ERG). In all other parts of the workout ERG was working fine. I tried to increase the target power and with 120% I finally reached the original taget power.
Is this an issue of the Neo with low RPM or is there something I can do?

It works no problem on our Neo and Neo 2T. My guess is you need a bigger gear.

I‘ll try that next time. Thanks for the tip :slight_smile:

Don’t use the ERG mode. It should only be used on very long intervals with a “relative” low intensity.

The bigger gear solved the issue! Fun fact: That was the first time in 1 year, that I changed gears :smiley:

1 Like

Can you explain this? I’m genuinely curious as I haven’t heard of this before.

The graph at the top shows best but generally this low body stress (feels easy, especially in the beginning), high muscle stress (you may feel sore with easy workout). Because joints build slower than muscle it’s best to start SFR easy. This is high torque activity (pressure on the bottom of your feet) if you normally do threshold at 100rpm, then going to 33pm increases torque by 3X, back off to 75% of FTP and you are still 2X.

It will build knees if you do it right and tear them down if you do it wrong. That’s why Jack starts easy and max starting level is limited to level #4 safest to start at L#1.

My question was in regards to smart trainer ERG mode only for " “relative” low intensity"

Oh sorry. We could let him answer. But if you ever try 4s intervals in ERG you will see it does not work. Secondly there is a large difference in trainer models, so his statement might be for a specific model. I personally don’t see an issue with the Wahoo and Neo, I have for 30s or longer intervals.