[SOLVED] - Slow power changes between intervals

I am not understanding exactly. You are just showing the difference between crank based power meter and your trainers power meter? If so, yes crank based is usually much more noisy.

Yeah other people want to see smooth graph too. A wahoo trainer has built in smoothing unless you specifically turn it off, so people with super messy power care about this where wahoo users would not need it at all.

Yes, I thought I’d show what @MedTechCD wrote. Maybe I misunderstood him, for which I apologize. :slightly_smiling_face:
And coming back to the topic, this is from today’s record. This rise curve could be steeper? :wink:
VideoCapture_20240106-151611 VideoCapture_20240106-151702

Yes it will be steeper in the next version. I don’t know if it will be steep enough. We eventually might need to do something like wahoo does which is compare the target to the output and smooth it depending on how close it is to the target it. For ERG this would work

One of the complications is some people have data that look like this

It becomes difficult to determine the difference between intervals and high variability, but for ERG looking at target would help but for slope mode it would not.

I don’t know why you want to do it so complicated.
It looks like this, because they have a real powermeter (on crank, pedal or e.g. Stages SB20 bike). That is what it’s look like.
I want that it looks like this.

So just put it as an option

• smoothing off
  • smoothing 1s
  • smoothing 3s
  • smoothing 5s

Everyone can decide which option he or she prefer.

If you want to do a smart smoothing, it won’t work. How will you decide, if current power point is noisy and e.g 30 w off the target, or if the user is pedalling 30 w less? Comparing the average makes also no sense, because what are you doing on interval changes, when target is way off the average power? And switching to hr and so on? How will you smooth when there is no target, only slope mode?
So I would just keep it simple.

Edit:
Just as an idea. You could probably put this option in the workout tab itself. By tapping the watts field it currently changes from watts -> %ftp and back
You could switch it from watts -> 3s watts -> 5s watts -> %ftp

2 Likes

We used to have it the way you are suggesting but people still were not happy so I was trying to get smart but we make some mistakes. I thought I could outsmart the data :slight_smile:

I should also say that previously our drawing of these lines were slowing down peoples workouts. So this was an attempt to reduce the number of plotted points for everyone to fix slow downs but in the mean time we solved slow downs a different way so the need of permanent smoothing is not important. So there is just a lot of complexity to the current situation but now we need to back track and it’s going a bit slower with the holidays and other issues we need to resolve as well.

Yeah, I know there are different users with different kind of requirements to the product. And sometimes no option for the user is better than too many options. I remember the power smoothing slider, and I don’t know why it was removed. And in the end, it is not a hard requirement, but only a visual representation of a measured value.

1 Like

Yes, I was hoping for no options, in general we are trying to simplify our product without losing anything but in this case I failed.

1 Like

I am right there with @AlexE in noticing the slower build up, and down, of power. I am experiencing 15 seconds before I was at the interval wattage, rather than three seconds I was experiencing just weeks ago. When I am programming 30/30’s for example, a favorite of mine, the 15 second ramp up, or down, changed things a lot. Yes, please give us the option to to return to non-smoothing.

BTW….in conversation with a friend, a TrainerRoad user, I highlighted the quickness I was experiencing of snapping into the interval in three pedal strokes as a benefit of TrainerDay over the “other guys.”

Glad to see I was not the only this was driving crazy! :grin:

New build is almost ready for beta testing, so hopefully the next couple days.

1 Like

Waiting for this to be delivered to the iOS app :grinning: So what are the options going to be moving forward? A configurable time value for power smoothing, 10s vs 3s? What was the actual value before it was changed to 10s? And will the setting affect both the current power display and the graph?

Right now just on/off. But we will add more options soon (again).
Probably these options
Off, 3s, Dynamic (what we have now) and 10s.
Yes current power and graph.

We are testing some bluetooth changes so that is holding up pushing this on/off to production.

Great, thank you!

Ok finally new version is out you can turn off smoothing now in the other settings.

2 Likes

Any idea when it will be in the Play Store? No update there yet…

Oh sorry, he just submitted to beta testers for now (you can join the beta). I thought he did for everyone. It should be today or tomorrow.

Great work! Thank you!

1 Like

Much better. Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like