Add support for Echelon EX-5 via Qdomyoszwift (QZ app)

Hi there, I’m trying to connect my echelon bike via the Qz app. It recognizes the device but only as a heart rate monitor. Im not able to get cadence/resistance/watt sync. Has anyone had this issue and/or can walk me through how to resolve this?
There’s another thread that said they solved it but not how to do it.

Hi there. I don’t know anything about this Qz app, never heard of it before. I just looked but am not sure how you use it. You connect you bike to Qz on iOS device and then on the same device it shows up as a bluetooth device?

Alex, I know it can be confusing, but QZ is actually amazing (and open-source,
by the way)! It allows you to use all kinds of equipment with TrainerDay and other platforms like Zwift, Peloton, etc., that are normally not supported by the manufacturer. I’m happy to report that Echelon indoor bikes are fully supported. I use an Echelon EX-3 to do all my rides. You can use QZ as the bridge between the indoor bike (Echelon and others) and TrainerDay.
However, QZ and TrainerDay can’t be on the same device.

Oh cool. I understand. This is amazing. We will totally support this. Let me dig into it and let you know.

I did a ride yesterday. ERG is working fine. However multiple times during the ride the bluetooth connection between TD and QZ was lost. When this happens a new sensor/device shows up in the Devices screen (but with a different ID) and I have to unpair the old (stale) device. I think it’s a bug in TD, because I don’t have any problems with using QZ with other services like TrainerRoad and Peloton. Please let me know what I can do to troubleshoot this issue. QZ’s developer is very responsive and could help too, but I think it’s a TD issue first. TD is running on an iPhone 12, iOS 17.5.1.

Hi, great news. QZ works with my Keiser M3i, which is amazing because I was thinking I needed to buy their new M3i computer which is not easy to get. I don’t have ERG mode.

I am not totally following what you mean by another device connecting. You mean in the QZ app it is scanning and automatically finds a new device and our app disconnects? I will see if I can repeat this. What do you have QZ running on? I was running QZ on iPhone and TD on Android but I will reverse them.

Ok I see one strange thing. This QZ app creates a new device every time it disconnects. This seems like a bug on their side. I am surprised that Zwift and others ignore this.

I have QZ running on a Galaxy Note10+. (Android 12). TD on my iPhone sees a device called Smart Trainer (bike, this is the device name of the Android device) (4884ab). I can use ERG and my bike is fully controlled by TD through QZ. It works great but at random moments during the ride cadence and power is not coming through any more and I have to remove the device from the Devices screen and then re-add another one with the same name Smart Trainer, but different ID. This one works, the old one does not anymore. I could reverse the whole setup, but then I lose RunGap.

Yes this exact behaviour. So you think it’s QZ’s fault? :slight_smile:

Well it’s not typical of a hardware device. Once it has an ID it should keep it but maybe Zwift and TR are smart enough to recognize a device not by the ID. Maybe other devices had this in the past so they solved this. I sent QZ an email asking. Seems like the guy is probably a bluetooth expert so he might know something we do not. We will see if we can find a way to fix it if he can’t or won’t.

Ok talked to Roberto, he explained this is forced upon him by Apple and Google. He said zwift just looks at the device name or at least does not use the ID. We used to have problems with this in the past but I am going to talk to my developer. I really want this to work. :slight_smile: asap…

Interesting! Thanks Alex for reaching out to Roberto. Let me know if I can help.

1 Like