App somehow looses control over trainer

For several days (maybe a week?) TD has been quite unstable, which was extremely rare before. The application seems to lose control over the trainer, without losing connection - it does not record power. Sometimes several times during training. Turning power smoothing off and on helped. Once it froze completely at the end of a three-hour training session - I had to brute force the phone to turn off. Today, 3/4 of the way through training, the app lost connection with the trainer and heart rate sensor. Restarting BT helped, but in some intervals the machine began to overestimate the power, and in others it kept the assumed level. At the very end, the power began to fluctuate unbearably.
Pover saving - off.
No conflicts between BT devices.
No changes have been made to the hardware environment.

Android 11 RKQ1.200826.002
MIUI Gobal 12.5.6
Redmi Note 9Pro

That’s pretty strange. We actually do a lot of testing and have ran into issues like these very rarely and can’t replicate them but it’s actually something we are currently working on trying to see if we can figure out how to replicate

1. Losing connection and app restart fixes it (rare but happens)
  2. Freezes due to something strange. In your case 3 hours it could randomly run out of memory but we have seen a freeze in shorter workouts, again rare
  3. Over estimate power we have never seen without an external power meter or wrong gearing (too big for smaller power targets for example)

In the past I remember people with Redmi phones having issues but that was like 2 years ago and never heard anything since then.

Hopefully a phone restart resolves your issue and you don’t see anything. If you said it started a week ago.

I can see other than today we had something 2 weeks ago, that basically did nothing. On March 26th we did a fairly big BLE change but that mostly should reduce the chances of issues like you are describing not make it worse.

I’m not sure it is related, but I don’t want to start another topic. I too am having some problems with the app (Android phone). When I switch to another app and go back to TD, it sometimes freezes completely. Only restarting the app works, but I do lose the running training.
I also had my HR freezing. Disconnecting the HR monitor and connecting again solves that problem. But it can take a while before I notice it is frozen…

Sorry to hear.

1. Restarting app should not lose the current training. You should be able click on continue
  2. We experience freezes sometimes but can’t duplicate it so my developer can see it and fix it. We will see if we can switch apps and duplicate this
  3. HR freezing is something one other user just reported. He said it was showing in connections bu not showing any value for HR. We for sure know some random connection issues are happing in some strange cases…

So #1 and #2 are very much being looked at now. If we can reproduce them repeatedly then they should be easy to fix. Our problem now is just reproducing them.

I will update this as we progress but if you see any patterns let me know. Also give me Phone model and which version of Android if you can.

Galaxy S20 with android version 13

Thanks, we will keep testing and see if we can find this.

I have same phone S20 FE with Android 13. It never freezes but I rarely do anything with it while running TrainerDay. Except for some changes on the target value.

1 Like

I recently started to have this behavior as well. Sudden power drops. Sometimes it comes back. Sometime I need to restart … the trainer ! So I’m wondering if the problem is the app, of if my trainer is doing something weird…

So generally it seems most trainers throw exceptions at times it’s just the super mature apps elegantly handle these errors. This is my guess is what is going on. So I would call this the app and not worry about your trainer at this point. We see a few small hard to replicate issues and once we can get those resolved we can look farther.