Apple Watch app request (completed)

I hate charging stuff so my guess is I will keep using Garmin too but I want to test it, yes Black Friday deal :slight_smile: I don’t like smart watches (in concept, since I don’t have one) and have 99% of notifications off on my phone. Good job getting it working. We would probably develop an open source react native version if we can’t find one.

I hope that is not true. Seems like @app4g got it working without a separate watch app. Or maybe you mean real-time? Otherwise there is delay?

From what I can gather, Watch Apps can’t sync between Watch <-> iPhone. (cos I was thinking how to have things like elapsed workout time to be in-sync between watch and phone when both are running.

I did find a “mirror watch to phone” capability, but that’s mirroring and that basically needs a full (independent of phone) Watch App and the same app is not running on the phone.

The watch app above is a “companion app”, much like how the iphone can function as a companion app for Zwift on the Laptop. I guess it could also be coded such that one can Pause/Start/Resume/Skip Interval from the watch and then the command would get relayed to the phone.

It’s not a full fledged bicycle computer, for that, you would need a Full Watch App (independent of phone).

I saw from youtube that there is already the App “WorkOutDoors” and “CycleMeter” (I was using Cyclemeter exclusively for a couple years before giving up - due to battery life)

@Grip for the HeartCast app, do you notice any delay between the watch HR and the HR shown on the watch?

Looks like there is a (v slight) delay. Acceptable?

That was just my understanding based on concept2 ergdata. The apple watch does transmit heart rate into the trainerday app but requires an extra iphone one for connection to apple watch and transmission and other for trainerday.

Since HR is delayed 30-60 seconds from change in effort, I think a slight delay in HR makes no difference. Looks like this will work.

Looking at this video and heartcast it does not require special heartcast Watch app, they just say start activity. You might not be directly reading HR from watch but 1-second delay is fine. If you wanted to use heartcast it would require two devices but if we read Apple watch’s HR “signal” just like heartcast, that looks like it will work just fine. If we wanted to attempt to do HRV analysis or something, I assume it would require a direct connection.

1 Like

HRV is also available as part of the Data from HealthKit, apart from HR. And can also be transferred to the Phone.

I mean more like an HRV app, you might want to do your own real-time showing breath in vs breadth out hrv visuals. But thanks anyway, that’s all interesting stuff.

1 Like

Ok Apple watch should be working now. It’s kind of a beta feature but once you connect the watch and accept everything it should start and stop your watch automatically when you start a training session.

Oops sorry this is not released yet. Next couple days.

1 Like

Hmm, looks like the current iOS release (3.3.8) doesn’t have Apple Watch support yet. Is the release geography-specific, or maybe just not out yet?

No sorry they blocked our release should be in the next few days.

Interesting read both of the apps didn’t work for me on TrainerDay and/or my elite erg trainer so I’ll stick with the armband for now but interested to see what comes up in the next couple of weeks

Sorry Simon, it should be today hopefully, or tomorrow unless Apple rejects us again (due to using the word free in our app store screenshots), then it delays the process a little.

2 Likes

Ok. Now it is really, really done, and should be available to all. This was much harder than we thought and so we are thinking it might need some enhancements, but seems to work well in our testing.

3 Likes

Working flawlessly

1 Like

That is so good, nice work

1 Like

This is absolutely perfect thank you @Alex and the team or doing such a great job, love it!:heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

1 Like

It be nice if we could see the HR zones too or the calories. But it’s working great better than my wahoo chest strap lol.

Hi, new user. I’m not seeing your app on my Apple Watch 3. Ah, my watch only goes to IOS 8.8.1 and the AppStore says I need IOS 9.1. Any suggestions?