Custom warmup added to any CJ workout?

CJ is cool, but the typical warmup it provides doesn’t fit my taste. I think it would be cool to have a custom warmup that would automatically attached to any workout it creates (except probably endurance and recovery ones, where you basically don’t need a special warmup).

I don’t think this is technically complicated but maybe makes the learning curve too steep :wink: but for advanced users it would be beneficial I believe.

None of the apps at the moment offer such a feature AFAIK.

I will think on this. I am curious what you would like the warmups to be.

1 Like

Here you go, @Alex. I have been doing this for years, this is what my coach made to me. So it includes Z2, then ramp up, then 3x1min fast legs (100-110 rpm), then 3 min at FTP. If workout starts with Z2, I usually skip last FTP section.

That would be a workout for me :slight_smile: Interesting. Helps to see it thanks, let me keep thinking. Using our app this is not too hard to do with our merge feature. :slight_smile: 4 extra clicks to have your own warmup. I will think about this. We are working on a bunch of improvements to coach Jack so I will see if this fits some how.

I would see it as a checkbox “use my warmup” and have some workouts in your library which are tagged as warmups. Then CJ substitutes default warmups with your custom one. Pretty simple :wink:

Yeah, but you (specifically) only want it on certain workouts, and to make it generic it should be flexible. Not to mention there needs to be a way to designate which workout is the warmup. To make it useful for everyone it needs to be simple and flexible which is always a hard balance.

Yep, indeed. This project is not a big deal, rather an interesting idea.

In general I like to give people the choice to have it their way, and try to guide them towards what we feel is the healthy / results / “fun” way. So doing what you feel is an improvement in warmup is actually inline with our thinking. Nothing wrong with better longer warmups. But I would think the warmup should actually be more dynamic meaning if you follow the CJ principal of starting your season easy then you don’t need a hard warm up like that at the beginning of the season but as your workouts start getting hard then you need harder warmups. Almost based on IF or time in zone or something.

I would say Andrea would think the 3 minutes at threshold is too much but the rest is fine. His warmups are a bit different then the CJ warmup and he has one extra component to his workouts for pros which he calls “secondary work” which frequently comes before the main work.

1 Like