Difference between speed/distance data on Bike computer vs on app

My apologies if this has been asked before, I have had a quick browse on the FAQs and didn’t see the topic.

I am almost completely new to the use of smart trainers and have done my first workout on Trainer Day today. During it I noticed that the speed and distance data displaying on the app was about 80% of what was appearing on my Garmin Edge 520. The trainer I was using is a new to me (2nd hand off Ebay) Wahoo Kickr Snap.

I was using the same bike, sensors and computer as I use outside where the data appears to be reliable (recorded distances etc match the real world). Is there a way of calibrating the data being recorded in the app so that it matches the data on the Garmin Edge?

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Al.

Hi. The speed and distance from trainers is based on gearing and in ERG mode this makes no sense. Our speed and distance is based on converting power to speed, highly more accurate but since different riders ride differently you can go to our profile and change your drag coefficient.

1 Like

Thanks Alex, just a wee check on which way round it works, do I lower the CD to increase the displayed speed?

Thanks,

Al.

Yes, lower drag coëfficiënt means less resistance and thus higher speed.

1 Like