ERG Mode Dropping Out [IC4 + Smartspin2K]

Hi, I understand this is not a configuration you are used to but maybe you can give me some help anyway. I use a Schwinn IC4 stationary bike with Tempo Power Meters and use a device called Smartspin2K which turns spin bikes into smart trainers. My setup works perfectly in Zwift, TrainerRoad, Rouvy, etc. I just started using TD because I like it better than TR (not to mention the cost)

Anyway, When I am doing a workout, ERG works fine from the beginning but somewhere in the workout a few minutes into the ride ERG mode stops working and the only option available is slope mode. Once it is in slope mode ERG mode is greyed out for the rest of the ride. Also if I start a ride and manually go to slope mode I can never go back to ERG mode. The only way to get ERG mode to turn on again is exit the workoutt and start again.

The only other thing that may be a factor is I do have 2 or 3 dropouts in a ride but they are very brief and it comes right back up.

Is there any setting or anything I should look at to help with this.? Otherwise I love the app and the training plans!

Schwinn IC4 bike with Smartspin2K
Samsung Android tablet

Thank You

Hmm, this is very interesting. I have looked at stuff like this Smartspin. I might have even talked to that guy at some point. I have smart trainers but I also have a spin bike which I really like so this has been interesting to me. Even though this is a bad business decision :slight_smile: meaning you are a very niche user, for some reason I really like this so if you would be willing to work with my developer we could try to figure out how to fix this. I would like to better understand this problem. If so just let me know and I will give you info on how we can connect. It should not take a huge amount of your time.

I would definitely be willing to work with you on this problem. The two guys who created the SS2k are very responsive also so I am sure they would help also. It is open source so the code is available on GitHub. It’s an amazing product, you should try it on your spin bike.

Meanwhile I will reproduce this and open a ticket with them along with the logs to get their thoughts.

I hope we can solve this because I am loving TD. Thank you!

Oh it is ESP32 based, we can try this. We might even be able to help them because we have working ESP32 based solution. We will try their code to see if we can understand it. I see some of their PDF links in github are broken.

That I don’t know. I’m going to do a test today or tomorrow and send them the logs to see if the can see where the disconnect is happening. I did see on GitHub where they did a recent fix where they were having issue with TD and erratic ERG but that issue was fixed and closed I believe.

Anthony and Emad are super responsive so I’m hoping we can get a fix on one side or the other. Thank you!

I did a ride today and had the same issue. ERG dropped out about two minutes in and ERG button became disabled for the rest of the ride. I have submitted an issue to SS2K github also. Just did a couple of short test rides for testing and the second one quit controlling the trainer on the second interval but this time the ERG button did not go off. I can send the logs to you also but not sure if that would help your developers. Thanks!

Hi Alex! This should be fixed on our end. The breaking feature stemmed from sending ERG set points every second. I haven’t seen any other apps that do that. Typically they’re (watt targets or set points) only sent when there’s a new target.

Regardless, that should not cause an issue and so it’s been fixed :tada:

If you’d like to trade some services, perhaps we could work something out for a TrainerDay dev account so we can add you to the list of apps we routinely test and endorse.

Have an awesome weekend!