ERG not dropping off

Hi all,

First time using the app today, I have to say I was impressed. Simple and easy to use and a nice ui. I did have one issue though, after an interval the trainer didn’t drop the resistance every time it just stayed at the last interval power? Is this an app or trainer problem (saris H3)?

Hoping this can get sorted so I can start looking at plans :crossed_fingers:

Thanks all,
Kev

Hi Kev, this seems a bit strange. There are multiple reasons this can happen. Some people have issues like this when using bluetooth headphones for example. The other is that I believe Saris has occasional errors when accepting a power change (not just Saris but a little more frequently with the H3 than Kickr but Kickr Snap for example also has this happen more often). Did you have to press power down or did it do it automatically but just very delayed?

I have a H3, so could try doing a workout this evening and see if I get something similar.

1 Like

Yes, when I said this happens to H3 more, my belief is that some models of trainers have more troubles than others and it only seems to affect certain users because of something in their setup or with their device. Not that all H2/H3 users have problems in the past I would hear of issues like this more often with H2/H3 users but not any more. Usually when we do it seems like either we work with the user to figure it out and do a code change to improve it or the user of the device fixes bluetooth issues or re-installs the app or uses a different phone/device and it is resolved.

1 Like

Hi both,

yeah was a bit strange, it didn’t happen in the middle interval. I disconnected the trainer and reconnected to get it back to the correct watts. Would my cadence have anything to do with erg mode? it may be that my cadence slowed at the end of those intervals but not in the middle one? I don’t really know how to look at this from the activities page?

Did another workout yesterday, worked a treat. I did concentrate on keeping my cadence steady though especially at the end of the intervals in case it did have an effect. Ramp test tomorrow so no need to worry about bringing the power down with that one until the end!

1 Like

Nice, although that workout looks too hard :slight_smile:

Haha, it certainly didn’t feel easy!

It was just one of the free ones that’s available on the app. Just trying it out before I sign up. I will be signing up to a coach Jack plan after the ramp test, will probably have a load of questions about which plan but that’s a whole other post :joy:

Oh god, I don’t know what I was thinking when I created that :slight_smile:

My Kickr Snap does the same, Alex you gave me a ramp ramp ramp ramp workout to see what happened in another post. I think you thought was to do with frequency of the trainer accepting input? Anyway I’m doing more stepped workouts and it’s fine, was mainly coming off the end of ramps which confused it

Yeah must be, done a few workouts since and its only happened on one other interval. definitely helps keeping the cadence steady.

I had this issue a few times with the flight trainer not changing watts while interval changed. So I can stop pedaling and then starts back. I think it happens when my cadence drops. It is unusual though.

I too have experienced this twice on the Elite Suito. I can confirm your observations that it happened to me when I varied cadence while interval changed. It has never happened to me on Zwift. I’m not saying that it’s a bug in TrainerDay but perhaps Zwift is aware of this problem on some trainers and they added some silent correction.

Fortunately I found a simple workaround that doesn’t disrupt my workout. In my case it’s enough to switch to Resist mode for a brief moment and then back to ERG mode. In both cases the resistance was corrected to the desired value.

Yes exactly, Zwift and TR are better at dealing with trainers when they report an error or don’t do something correctly. We keep trying to improve our error handling. It’s frequent that when trying to update a target power and the trainer says it is not ready yet for example. If you can repeat this regularly and willing to work with my developer we could fix this. We have a tester with a Suito on the team but he just minimally helps out/does indoor training but does not experience any issues. I have asked him a few times to try to reproduce any issues like this. You could try pressing + and - quickly a few times and see if it forces this problem.