ERG Treadmill Support

You can execute running workouts in Zwift if you want to do walk/run, etc… , but on my treadmill you have to change the belt speed manually. Zwift in that instance is more like a time keeper than anything else.

Dave

Yes, mine has FTMS so it can record and show speed in zwift, but I will use TD desktop most likely… But I will try zwift for sure… but I do have to adjust speed and incline manually. I think Wahoo does automatic but I don’t trust their longevity at this point. Their tread is too new.

AIUI Zwift and Mywhoosh will control the incline on a Wahoo Kickr Run, but not the speed.

Runna controls both incline and pace via bluetooth FTMS for its workouts. Has done so since Aug 2023

https://www.instagram.com/p/CwhixGYt4fX

Compatibility seems to depend on more than just having FTMS.

You might find it works with your Matrix machine @Alex with a bit of fiddling about with the settings and, in doing so, maybe you will spot some interesting avenues to explore with TD?

Matrix has programmable pace and incline so maybe it will. Good info I will test those and research more. I love it so far but preferring outdoors now.

Oh my god… I had no idea. My treadmill supports control of speed and incline over FTMS… Some how in my mind I was thinking this was very limited feature to Wahoo and a few others.

I have “ERG Running” fully working in our desktop app but I have not released it yet in case anyone has a controllable treadmill I will release it soon. I can see what my winter is looking like now :slight_smile: I could even do HR+ for treadmills like @Ivegotabike wants… soon he will be buying a matrix too… Supposedly Horizon (same company lower end models) have an app AtZone that let’s you do HR controlled workouts (according to AI) but not clear how FTMS control works. AtZone might work with my treadmill too. I will test it.

1 Like

Quite a few treadmills have HR control type workouts in their onboard software - including Matrix

Lifefitness call it HeartSync, Technogym call it Constant Pulse Rate, Nordic Track call it ActivePulse, Precor doesn’t even name it

Interesting yeah I haven’t really paid attention to treadmills so I’m a beginner here. I’m guessing a lot of it is because I see a lot of doctors recommending to patients to do a specific heart rate and so treadmills are probably the perfect tool for most.

I dipped my toe in the treadmill water.

I bought a lightly used one off gumtree for £220

Given that I only run for 30 minutes, at a very low intensity, a couple of times per week, I think it will be more than adequate for those few occasions when the weather makes running outside less appealing to me.

I had a quick go at running on (in?) Zwift with it. It felt very strange, but I expect I can get used to it.

I will try kinomap too.

Yeah, I just installed zwift on my laptop so next time I run on the treadmill, I’m gonna try it. If you love Kinomap something like 10 years ago, I bought a lifetime subscription you can use mine. I used it like 10 times in the beginning and haven’t used it in like nine years.

1 Like

PS, congratulations and good choice on being responsible.

Thank you!

I prefer responsible to the other word someone used when hearing the same story: cheapskate!

So I have earned more money in my life than some of my friends that are way richer than I am… I would put them in the cheapskate category (in positive generous way). One is retired at 40 and traveling the world (as a tour guide for fun. even makes money while retired on “vacation…”).

I went on a deep frugal quest in my life at one point. Even lived in a tee pee and did not have a car and worked at Microsoft :slight_smile: I do try to invest time to make value based decisions but I am wrong about 50% of the time. I am not particularly good at being frugal these days.

One advantage a treadmill has over outdoor running (for me) is the ability to better control HR.

Ceiling HR is 131, target is 126.

I did it.

Over 95% of the duration of the whole work out at, or above, 121 bpm

Just 2 seconds at the 131 bpm ceiling and zero above.

I am guessing your tread does not have FTMS… this might be interesting, other than the price :slight_smile:

It (adidas T-24c) does have FTMS.

Which is good, because the adidas console+ app, that goes with the adidas range of cardio equipment, is terrible(*), so connectivity to other apps is very welcome.

(*) worse than terrible. It is slow, glitchy, unintuitive, crashes and some of the features it claims to have (like structured workouts) either do not exist, or are so well hidden that they may as well not exist.

Oh nice. FTMS for 200 gbp… amazing. You can try our desktop if you want but I will work on adding it to the mobile in the future. Are you using Zwift? I am in a constantant state of overtraining lately and today is second day of recovery required based on TSB and Garmin reporting…. So I can’t even keep up with my cycling volume/intensinity increases…

I don’t have a device to run the desktop version, just the ipad.

I have done a couple of runs on Zwift and one on kinomap. I have yet to try mywhoosh.

Today is a rest day, so no cycling or running, but I will be back to both tomorrow.

I am supposed to add a minute to the runs this week, so that will be 33 minutes(!) at MAF HR.

I am thinking of introducing some strides to one of the runs in the next couple of weeks. Just a tiptoe into speed work.

To keep the overtraining alarms quiet, volume has to creep up nice and slowly (I know you already know that!).

Weather has been great here so I have just been biking and recovering but today is cold and rainy so will run the treadmill recovery run (MAF-10). Did you try TR running? I don’t even know what their running does. I forgot you have no desktop I guess I will have to make mobile app work. Personally I would rather have mobile too. I don’t want to carry laptop to the shed if I can help it. Or use mobile for recording and laptop Netflix.

I also have done strides 2 times with no additional fast running. I think this is smart especially if you have future ambitions of more than MAF.

Yes, we should take advantage of the weather whilst it is good.

I haven’t looked at TR running. I am not at a level where structured workouts will help (probably damage in fact) and the consensus I pick up about it is that it is not much good.

I am content with my running plan for now.

  • Making runs a consistent thing.
  • Building up more time at MAF HR (pace is still increasing at that HR).
  • Thinking about introducing that tiny bit of speed work through strides at some point in the not too distant future.

I guess I mean, you are recording your workouts. What is the simplest recorder (not controller) that you use?

Yes, my goal is to build my tendons and ligaments safely and re-learn how to run. Eventually might be see if I can learn how to be faster than I used to be :slight_smile: