Example of a HIIT 4-second interval automated slope mode workout

So here is an example workout with 4 second hard intervals. Because it is based on slope mode you can ride the intervals at the intensity you want and really for as short or long as you want. It’s a bit like a dumb trainer or even Zwift in non-ERG mode but you have visual guidance to help you hit your target intervals. In this example it also switches from 4% grade to 8% grade 10-seconds before your hard intervals start and continues 10 seconds after you finished.

What I found was that it was better to add these 10-seconds or so of the target slope before and after the 4-second intervals to get me prepared and in the right gear/cadence and if I overshoot the 4-seconds it does not drop the slope. This workout idea was based on this article.

I would call this a “beta” workout because I did not know exactly what I was doing. I would love to see what other people create. I also added text descriptions to prepare me for each interval.

Make sure you turn on Sim mode in the app settings to use this workout.

When creating your own workouts set your interval types to ERG or SLOPE if you want them to automatically change. I will create a video as soon as I can.

5 Likes

Hi Alex,

Did you try yourself that ‘Four seconds…’ workout plan, please? To me, it looks very interesting, as one can squish training time to 15-20 minutes. It also resemble ‘tenis play’ pattern, as you need a lot of power to frequent dashes of 2 - 6 meters…

My H10 Polar belt is there, but I possibly over-used it and have kind of ‘rash’ in places where nasty ‘electrodes’ contacted my skin. Now, H10 was washed with ultrasounds device, but my skin have to wait. :grimacing: In mean time I try to learn Kubios Scientific software (alas restricted for free usage) and moving to programming with NeuralKit2 and ECG and RR fancy stuff. It should be very useful i near future.

Cheers!

I never do anything consistently but yes I have done that workout a dozen times or so. I have done more tabata style and to really reduce time I have done SFR and tabata with blood flow restriction devices. I have two 8-year old boys a job and this business so doing anything consistently is a challenge. I just try to always do something and that qualifies for consistent in my life :slight_smile:

17 posts were split to a new topic: HRV and Research Addictions

This is from “Keep on running: the science of training…” book of Newsholm, Leech, Duester. I have French edition and in chapter 9, subsection 9.3, there a tile:

Surprising effect of short intervals on human endurance. Per-Olof Astrand (another guy) noticed that 10 second max effort + 20 rest brings benefits to aerobic performance.

Quite interesting publication of Astrand PO can be found here, related to physical activity, age and VO2 : https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=Astrand+PO&cauthor_id=9173949

By the way “Keep on running…” is quite expensive today (USD ~200) and cannot be found on Amazon. Here is the link: https://www.wiley.com/en-us/Keep+on+Running%3A+The+Science+of+Training+and+Performance-p-9780471943143

Yes coach Andrea and our Coach Jack plans start HIIT to with 20/40 and slowly move towards 40/20.

I see that book used on Amazon US for 6$, might be the better choice.

This is strange Amazon behavior: It founds for Eric NewsHolme, from here to US Amazon: Functional Biochemistry in Health and Disease of that guy from 2010, second edition. Well, dead athletes may have cheap items in their libraries. :woozy_face:.

I see now second edition ‘temporary out of stock’. Perhaps I need to check my configuration, which prevented me to see non available items or items from guy not sending to Europe (?).

Amazon US sends to Europe pretty cheap. No VAT or taxes on books. I searched google for the title, author and “amazon” maybe it got me there faster…

Yes, cheapest possible. I remember items from Amazon US sent to me from New Zealand: it was really beating the US postal service 20 years ago. :smiley_cat:

Yet another study about ‘min/max’ 4 seconds effort metod:

Hourly 4-s Sprints Prevent Impairment of Postprandial Fat Metabolism from Inactivity

This study sought to determine if very brief (4-s) cycling performed at maximal intensity in blocks of five repetitions per hour is effective in counteracting the effects of prolonged sitting on postprandial lipid metabolism. In the control trial, subjects sat for 8 h and postprandial metabolism was measured the next day (SIT). This was compared with an exercise trial of repeated (5×) cycling sprints lasting only 4 s each, performed every hour for 8 h (SPRINTS). Sprints were performed on an inertial load ergometer (ILE) (14). Therefore, each hour, only 20 s of sprint exercise was performed and only 160 s of SPRINTS was performed for the entire day.

Interesting. I would like to see this study with 1 4s sprint per hour :slight_smile:

1 Like

I did not ask authors yet about their study design (why just 4s x 5 x 8), but followed one of the references, by same texan team and the same 4 seconds mantra. It is a 2021 study:

Inertial Load Power Cycling Training Increases Muscle Mass and Aerobic Power in Older Adults

From ‘results’: Cardio-ankle vascular index was significantly decreased −2.3% ± 1.1% (P < 0.05), indicating reduced arterial stiffness.

Then one hour spent on re-reading discussion sections from those three documents ‘saved my day’.

Yes, I think you can do very minimal high intensity and get significant results. I would guess a person could do 2 X 5 minutes a week of strength and 2X10 minutes a week of high intensity cardio (5 minutes warmup, maybe something like 10 X 4s with rests) + 2m cool down and get most of the health benefits. Obviously this is not scientific, but just an opinion but after lots of reading and talking to people such as Andrea I believe it is likely.

These guys message is mostly marketing but they make lots of claims about the most minimal type of training.

Yes, they pretend to use scientific approach and it relates to studies I mention. However suggesting that Carol ergo is necessary is a marketing trick for public.

By chance (thank you Alex for Trainerday) I can use your super easy slope setting and with appropriate tuning generate huge power spike from low RPM to high RPM in 4-5 seconds. Protocol is not set in stone (I see it from cited studies) and connecting HR monitor (and my old Track + Elite TUO) is largely enough.

For last three weeks I do that 2-3 times per week with my cycle and 2-3 times per week with rebouncer. It looks like a lot already. Too much pleasure exercising. :smiley_cat:

I checked the ECG signal shape in that (good for signal quality in my case) sensor position. It is ‘V5 - V6 position’ (naming from 12 leads ECG electrodes placement) , but 2-3 cm lower.

On 10 seconds rebouncer session segment, the signal looks like inverted, but test of inversion within NeurKit2 is negative.

I’m back from my first 'sprint triathlon’ (300 m swim, 10 km erg, 3 km running in +1, snowy and windy weather). Just after that, 4 hours drive back home. Feeling a bit euphoric, as I managed to survive.

Most of those guys (20% of girls) are very serious ones, 30 - 50% my age. My preparation was over last 6-7 weeks based on that 4-seconds sprints x 30 on my home cycle, every 30 seconds for 15 minutes. 5 minutes warm-up. It was done 2 - 3 times a week. Also the rebounder exercice was trying to mimic that 4-seconds effort.

Learning from first triathlon is that I have to spend now a lot of time how to ‘change’ what I’m wearing to something else for next discipline, and not fight for three minutes or more for being on save side when going on such a cold outdoors with wet swimming suite… :cold_face:

Anyway, I’m quite happy.

2 Likes

Wow, super cool!!! Thanks for the update.

Brave man!