Garmin Integration Nightmare (Can't get completed workouts in Garmin with Training Load)

Hello guys,

I’m not sure if I’m the only one but the integration between TrainerDay and Garmin seems not that good.

I do understand some limitations of the live syncing but even with the manual import the training are not getting in the Garmin Training Load (acute) and training balancing.

Doing 50/50 internal and external ride, this is getting messy and really trouble maker.

Anybody found the way to fix it… I’m thinking getting back to Zwift, the sync process was so easier.

Thanks for your help

YvesC.

Yes, this is a Garmin problem that they don’t do training load from external files. I do know someone has manually editing the files and getting it working and I also know if you have an iOS device and can set up RunGap they had it working and then something recently changed and they are working on fixing training load again (or maybe it is fixed).

Also many people just dual record on their Garmin device, but that can cause other issues that the Garmin tries to control your trainer but if you start TD first it seems to work fine. Also this only happens to some people. Not sure why some and not the others.

Yeah. Garmin only allows select few apps/sources to have (official) training load calculations. (There are some unofficial ways - like the manually editing of the files prior to uploading to Garmin or using Sync Apps like RunGap. Some Training Apps also support this feature)

The reason for this is also because Garmin doesn’t allow anyone to upload completed workouts their platform automatically. Only a few select companies get this/have this agreement.

So what is the easiest way ….

Current setup… TrainerDay is pushing to Strava
When I’m doing Zwift … Zwift is pushing to Strava and Strava is pushing to Garmin (and Garmin Load work)

I’ve tried to edit one tcx file and add the Garmin Edge in the file… didn’t work but, the file was previously uploaded and deleted …
Maybe it will work next time … who know

RunGap is the other way !??? Any other thread explaining how ? Is it free ?

Thanks

I think it’s Zwift -> Garmin that has the training load.

1 Like

The easiest solution is to use TrainerDay simply as an app to control your trainer and record everything on the same device that you use outdoors.
I have TrainerDay saving the activities to Dropbox but that’s just an ‘in case of trouble’ solution. I never open any of them. My cycling device (Garmin Edge) records the whole workout and syncs with Garmin and then Intervals. This makes sure you have everything like you’re used to.
In my case the Garmin isn’t even connected to the trainer because it records the power from my pedals and I couldn’t care less for anything claiming to be distance and/or speed. I’m on my attic, going nowhere :wink:

2 Likes

I would say pure easiest is if you are an iOS user RunGap is the easiest, I think it is like 5$ / year. But if you don’t mind a couple extra clicks recording on your Garmin should be easy as well.

2 Likes

Yep, same here. I start my workout with TD and than I start recording on my Garmin Instinct watch. The TD workout goes to Strava after the workout. The Garmin workout also gets synced with strava, but I delete this duplicate.

1 Like

The reason that dual recording with a garmin device fails is that you cannot add a SMART TRAINER as a sensor, just add the POWER METER, and if necessary candence and speed sensor. This way the smar trainer will report power/speed/candence and the garmin device (EDGE/FENIX…) will not try to controlling it using ANT or BLE…
I prefer this method to have the GARMIN controlling the smart trainer, and this is because TrainerDay running on my iphone is much more stable and friendly to use

1 Like

I’m just uploading the workout manually. Yes, I’m missing some stuff in Garmin. But Garmin (and Strava) don’t understand indoor workouts properly anyhow. Or better : don’t want to understand them… There was a recent interesting video by Cam Nicholls (on the RSR Academy channel) on Three Simple Ways to Boost Cycling Endurance. Ryan Thomas explains the concept of ‘constant pressure’ indoors vs outdoors. Provided you don’t freewheel indoors, it’s very hard to compare indoor workloads to outdoors workloads anyway. So long story short : I don’t bother what Garmin says from a training perspective, it’s wrong anyhow when you did an indoor session…

1 Like

Garmin gives terrible advice from a training perspective 1/2 the time. I also agree comparing indoor and outdoor is also not very accurate.

I look at it from the “fun” side. After a long period of indoor training, all indicators are in the “red”. Then you do one ride outside and your performance indicator is suddenly +5 or more :slight_smile: Tell something on their data interpretation…

1 Like

So finally, tried to work with the TCX file, was able to make Garmin Connect thinking those indoor activities were from Edge but … load didn’t work still.

Ending up running Edge with TD and works as explained above… I’ll move in that way until this thing is fixed

Thanks

I am using TrainerDay with RunGap and everything works correctly once you pay for their “Swag Bag” service and turn on the functionality to tell Garmin it came from a different (compatible) device. It costs $4 a year. If you search online, you’ll find that Garmin does occasionally break this RunGap functionality, but once it’s reported to RunGap, they have been able to fix it within a few days. Both TrainerDay and RunGap provide excellent and fast support.

(Thanks to Alex for helping me find this solution!)

1 Like