Heart rate intervals

Alex,

How are you supposed to set up the heart rate intervals so they work as intended?

I did a work out today that was:

5 minutes warm up @ 40% in ERG
10 minutes @ 135 HR

The graph output from this is:

My HR was low after the warm up was ~ 103 BPM. It took about 8:46 to get close to the 135 BPM target at 132 BPM and then it controlled at about 124-131 BPM for the next minute plus until the interval ended.

Is the ramp up supposed to happen at this speed? Should have I given a higher wattage in ERG mode so it wasn’t so far away and could control sooner?

If HR is set to 135 BPM what is it actually attempting to control to? ~ 130 BPM?

I tried to merge a different work out at this point and ended up aborting.

I imagine the 10 minutes I had here is not what it was designed to support. Is it really supposed to work with intervals that last 30+ minutes?

Dave

Hi if you do 5 minutes ERG warmup 1 minute ERG at 70% and then 9 minutes at HR target it will ramp up instantly. Right now by default HR does slow adjustments to get you to your target. Having a starting higher power average (from ERG) will start HR from that point. Make sense?

You might want to go, 5% under target to give a small ramp like below.

I thought the BPM target would be the heart rate, but you have 70, which is more like an ERG target. Am I not understanding how to make a HR based workout?

You are correct, see below for 125 bpm.

Dave

1 Like

My example is confusing. I should show 70% FTP and 145BPM as better example :slight_smile: