Help needed - ERG mode

The goal is to see what Power your Assioma is reading vs what your Trainer is reading.

The link is to an Garmin CIQ app that will record the data from your Trainer and your Assiomas at the same time. So that you can see the data from both sources at the same time.

That workout is not a very good workout to test the power differences (if any)
The reason being that your Power is a Range (eg: 272 - 299w)

I am not entirely certain how / what number your headunit will send to the trainer (is it 272w? 299w? or the center (272 + 299)/2?)

It would be better to just create a workout w/ a fixed power target. eg: 285w

Garmins also use ERG mode but they will not do the PowerMatch thing.
The wattage set in your workout file will be sent to the trainer and your trainer will maintain that wattage no matter what speed/cadence you are pedaling.
But as I said above, if the Garmin detects multiple power sources, it will display the one with ‘Real’ power but it will not use it to correct eventual differences.
So if your interval is set to 150W (sent to the trainer), your Garmin could display 180W (read from the pedals). That would make a 30W difference between trainer and pedals.

Done. Will try this tomorrow

1 Like

So the workout will either be too hard/too easy depending which of the power sources is out?

Great…

However, since this is for a test to see power differences, you do not need to be doing a full workout (though there’s no harm in that )

If for me, for testing purposes. a quick few min rides is all that’s needed actually.

It can be as simple as creating a 5min ride at say 230w and then just seeing the power differences (if any)

Per MedTechCD, Your Garmin will

1. Control the trainer by sending 230w power target
  2. Power Reading on your Garmin Headunit (prioritising the “real” power meter - assiomas) will show 230w +/- 10w or such if all is good.
  • the +/- is because the assiomas are supposedly “highly accurate” w/ their IAV and such, any small changes in how you pedal / pedaling style / power etc will cause some differences, but +/- 10w, that’s to be expected
  1. if you see values like 260w (+30w) or 200w (-30w) then you know that there’s an offset.

Also, your trainer is a Kickr Snap which is a Wheels On trainer. My past experience w/ a (dumb) wheels on trainer is - tire slippage, not enough or too much tension, all of these can create differences in power at every cycle stroke.

Kickr Snap is a wheel-on trainer. Most wheel-on trainers have low accuracy. But since you have accurate Power pedals, you can get your trainer really close.
It’s a matter of always having your tire at the same pressure and adjusting the tire/roller tension to match the reading of your pedals within ~10W. Then the PowerMatch function will do the rest to match them almost perfectly.

1 Like

Hi both @MedTechCD & @app4g,

I appreciate your help. I refused to give up on this one, so went out late last night and reset evvveeerrrryyyything. Pedals, trainer, re-installed Trainer Day. You name it, I reset it.

Turns out that worked! I hit Power Match (I used Double Single Sided Power’ on the Favero Assioma app) and it all went fairly smoothly.

The only issue I had was when I got to the second and third of the bigger intervals (284w for 5min). The resistance increased somewhat, but definitely as much as required. The first time I stopped pedalling quickly and it reset, the second time I had to fully stop pedalling and start again (twice). Is there a fix for this?

And last question - do I need to turn Double Single Sided Power off on my Favero Assioma Uno app when I ride outdoors?

I honestly do not know… My own Favero is a DUO but the right side died and I had to make as a UNO. It’s on my “Trainer Bike” and I usually connect my Garmin to it (not the trainer) and it’s reading correctly.

I can’t tell you exactly what my setup is as I’m “Away From Bike” but I’m fairly sure that if it looks OK on your Garmin indoors, then it would be the same outdoors.

Thanks. It’s one I can easily monitor/manage on the go. Just glad I’m up and running with Trainer Day!

1 Like

The setting only affects BLE connection. Pedals are almost surely connected with ANT+, so no need to revert.

Good night, Alex.
I’ve been trying for months to make Golden Cheetah find my smart trainers (Wahoo Kickr Core and Kinetic R1) and my heart rate belts, but without success, I use BLTe and ANT+ (Garmin), but the GC doesn’t find anything at all, I’ve already uninstalled it about 8 times. And I would like to subscribe to Trainer Day, but how can I run the workouts, on which platform? Does Trainer day itself allow me to train using the app itself?
Sorry for the questions, but I don’t understand much about these alternative apps, just Zwift, Rouvy, RGT and Bkool.
Thanks for your time and help.

Hello Jean, Yes you can train with our app. You can try our free version of our app to make sure it works for your trainer. I have no problem helping guide you through this process.

AFAIK, these trainers are / should be supported. Most recently they just added support for FTMS Trainers (if your Kickr Core is recent enough, it would have FTMS support).

Also, connecting via ANT+ “should” be relatively simple affair if your ANT+ dongle is supported. Did you check w/ the GC people? (they have a google mailing list)

edit: just as i posted this, I noticed you asked the question on the mailing list.
If you provide as much info as you can possibly can, then you can get better help from the list.

Hi Jean,
I’m a GC user with Win10 PC, tacx Neo OG and different HR monitors from different brands.

1. If you have installed Garmin Express on your PC you should open the task manager and navigate to the process “Garmin Express (32 Bit)” and kill this process. Usually this process will be invoked automatically every time when you start your PC, therefor you habe to kill the process again.

2. An ant+ dongle is required for the Smart Trainer connection with FE-C and for the HR monitor. Both devices have to be ready to be used (power on, HR device on you body, PC close to the trainer). Startup GC and navigate to Train View. In this view you may select Devices and select ANT+ and FE-C. After some time every available/connected device will pup-up in the table.
    I’m using this configuration since few years with GC V3. 5 and V3.6 without problem.

3. TrainerDay: On my android Smart Phone I use BLT connections for the Smart Trainer und the HR monitor. On the Smart Phone settings you have to enable BLT.

4. Sometimes I use GC for playing RLVs and Trainer Day as (ERG-)workout player.
    In this case you have to configure in GC a device which connects the trainer not as FE-C device, but as device that receives Power, Cadence, Speed, HD-Monitor.

Item 1) prevents any ant+ connection with GC and TTS4.

Best regards
Rolf

2 Likes