How does power meter priority work?

Could you explain PowerMeter priority rules? I see that power is recorded from PowerMeter by the jaggy line but when I stop pedalling my Favero Pedals and turn the rear wheel by hand, power is read from the trainer. Would like to know how this actually works because I don’t want Power readings from the trainer when I start coasting. Not that it takes very long for my trainer to come to a halt, but just to have correct power readings.
When both are connected, it just seems that the displayed power comes from the power device that is not zero. Makes sense?

Power is taken from a power meter first if it is connected and has power > 0, if power = 0 it will take from the first non-zero device. If you stop pedalling I can only assume your smart-trainer will also go to zero.

That’s what I thought from my experiments. And yes, trainer will go zero, but it can take a couple seconds. Should be more or less the time it takes to do a spindown calibration. Not really a bugger but comparing the app output file with a file that only has the PowerMeter reading will look different. Anyway, a trainer is not used for coasting .

1 Like

How fast does it switch over? I noticed as well when I stopped pedaling on my Assiomas, there was still power as the trainer wheel spun down. It must switch pretty fast if so.
That’s great to know it prioritizes the power meter if > 0.

It should switch within one second of going to zero. We could consider delaying that a bit

Excellent. I personally don’t see any reason for a delay. Knowing that it prioritizes the power meter is good enough for me.

I second that. Adding delay will equally delay a switch-back to Power Meter and that is undesirable.

1 Like

Actually, it could be one way delay but I prefer not to add this as it just adds more complexity .