Intermittent target change problems using ERG

Thank you for all of the replies! I’m a newbie to the app so I’ve only used it 3 times. 1st go it was fine then it happened on the second and third times. I tried it on both my phone and tablet and it happened on both. I didn’t try tapping the the + button so will try that for now. My devices are:

Saris H3 trainer using a wahoo cadence sensor.
Google pixel 7 pro
iPad air 2

Many thanks!

Here is a short duration, low intensity workout that should verify your issues

And if it is related to ramps or a second test would be this one.

If these help reproduce the issue reliably then it will make it much easier for my developer to make 100% sure the issue is resolved.

Thanks Alex, I will try that then get back to you.

1 Like

Pixel 7 pro, cool, did not even realize it was out. Yes, Saris H3 seems to be a little more problematic than other devices. Still it’s something that can be resolved with changes in our app.

1 Like

Actually my developer added the first level fix that we hope will fix this, and it will be available today or tomorrow. Ideally you could try above and see if it replicates it today and then try soon with the new build and see if it fixes it.

1 Like

Hi,

I’ve completed the both tests you suggested on both the iPad air 2 and the Google pixel 7 pro this evening and the results are below.

iPad air 2
ERG Test Ipad

ERG Ramp Test ipad

Pixel 7 pro
ERG Test Pixel 7 Pro

ERG Ramp Test Pixel 7 Pro

Everything seemed much better doing the tests. Only 2 small issues noticed.

• during the ERG Ramp Test on the iPad it felt like the 4th interval was going to stick but then it corrected itself without intervention after about 2 seconds you can see this in the chart.
  • During the ERG Test on the pixel 7 pro the first low interval was at stuck at the higher wattage. Again you can see this in the chart.

Hope this helps! Thanks for everything!

Oh yes, it looks like both of those case replicated the issue. The reason the ramp test on the 4th interval fixed itself was that during the ramp we keep sending updates every 1 second so eventually one of them worked. Also it’s interesting case in the first example because your device like needed to be warmed up or woken up before it accepted the power change.

The new version 3.4.5 is available on play store now. Apple should get approved later today or tomorrow. My guess is that 3.4.5 will fix it 90+% of the time but rarely it might still occur. I think what we need to do is if you are in ERG and your power does not match your target (or close) in a second or two we need to keep sending power target updates until it fixes itself.

Thanks so much for this.

1 Like

Thanks Alex, really appreciate your help and quick responses! Will download the new app and get going with that.

Thank you

Rich

For what it’s worth, I saw this behaviour too and I’m using Elite Suito-T. After seeing this issue I started to do few + increases at workout beginning until I see/feel it acts and move it down back to 100% setting. After doing this it always changes wattage properly in my experience (in the context of one workout).

That’s good feedback. Maybe when we start the workout we need to keep sending updates many times in the start of the workout.

I guess this is the same issue, that I reported one year ago and that‘s still not solved for me: ERG problems related to slope mode - #22 by Alex

When the workout starts with a ramp, there‘s no problem. But when it starts with a steady effort, I have to press the „+“ button a few times or change to slope and back to ERG until ERG kicks in. No problems during the workout. It‘s always during the first minute.

Glad that others have the issue now, too :wink:

TACX Neo 1, iPad

Oh interesting. I should have asked if this was fixed. I have an idea now how to fix this.

I’m not sure if this is the same problem but on my trainer a Stages Sb20 I lose erg mode if I stop pedaling for a few seconds. I have to switch to slope mode or resistance for a bit then I can return to erg.

Jules, I don’t know if it was you. I can’t remember, but one other user reported this same problem with an SB20. Not sure if you tried our newest version of our app that came out a few days ago. It might have fixed this.

I’m on 3.4.5 and just checked still has the problem. If I just do quick start in erg mode it will control the resistance, but if I stop pedaling for a few seconds it drops out of erg. If I click on resist then erg it rengages.

Edit: just read some of the other Sb20 postings. I have got it setup with just the bike connected not the pedals and doubling the output. Everything seems accurate but the dopout still remains. It’s only if I let power drop to zero.

I believe I’m having the same problem as in first post. In ERG mode the power doesn’t change when it’s supposed to. The target power on the screen is going up or down but the resistance won’t change.

I have been using TrainerDay about two months now and there has been maybe two sessions at the start when this did not happen. Lately it’s been happening in every workout and usually it happens on first or second interval. Nothing else seems to fix it but to turn bluetooth on phone off and on, but it’s just a temporary fix, same thing happens again in the next or maybe second interval. I have tried pressing - / + buttons on screen, reinstalling the app, disconnecting other bluetooth devices or shutting them down, changing phone position and whatnot but these haven’t helped.

I’m using Toorx srx 3500 spin bike, Oneplus 5t (tried it with oneplus 7t but it did not help) and Polar H10.

Hi sorry for the slow response. Can you send a screenshot or link to your completed activity from our website? Are you willing to work with my developer?

Ok we see a problem on one of our devices, it’s probably the same problem, hopefully fixing our device will fix yours and if not then it would make sense to work with you. This should be resolved by early next week.

Ok, thanks! I hope it gets fixed and I’m fine working with developer if needed.

Here are anyways few screenshots, red arrows everytime I had to turn bl off/on and something strange happened in the last interval when target power began to jump up and down.

Test ERG, did these quite a lot too and it happened everytime, but not always at the same interval.

Oh this is a very different problem than anyone else is having. Maybe it’s related but might be something else. I will send you a PM here about contact info.