Interval type vs mode in app

Couple questions on the details of this feature:

Seems like regardless of the mode I choose in the app, I have to specify slope in the interval type to get the slope to automatically change. Does this mean that if I switch to erg mode in the app, it will switch back to slope at the start of the next interval (if both intervals are marked as a slope interval type)? What if I have work intervals marked as slope and rest as rest (no mode specified)? If I switch to erg in the app, do the work intervals change? What about the subsequent rest intervals?

In other words, how do the interval type and app mode interact?

Excellent question. Has not been asked before. I would say mode is more legacy and less useful but we still use it for Coach Jack for example when converting indoor to outdoor and simplifying structure. It used to be that you could have comma separated value but now you can’t. Do you have any specific needs for mode values like active and rest? Because really this should primarily be used for slope, erg and hr when creating workouts.

Yes, if you have type as slope it will auto switch to slope. We used to allow a blank value there with a slope and then it would just not auto switch back, this feature was accidentally recently lost when we introduced HR mode in the editor. We could allow this again if there is a reason to have it. This means it stays in ERG for example until you click slope rather than auto switch. I guess you could do this now but you would have to specify the slope value in the app not in the editor.

I really don’t have any need for warmup/cooldown/active/rest (although I like the open-ended option for workouts I would take outside). What would be most helpful is to have some kind of option to control the auto-switching behavior. Maybe there was an additional “auto” button on the app (next to HR/ERG/SLOPE) that would auto-switch based on the mode specified in the workout and the specific mode buttons are “sticky” and override the mode written in the workout.