Many power dropouts during workouts

First of all, great work so far. I really enjoy the app and I like the way you are going.

I rencently have so much power drops during my workouts. Can it be due to something I could control ? Could it be an update ? Can it be my phone ? Can it be investiguated somehow ? It is anoying to have power drop during hard session.

It concerns me because everything was flawless before and now it is less than ideal.

I show you a recent session, all drop outs are pointed with arrows.

Samsung phone
Tacx Neo 1
Sometimes powermatch with assioma duo pedal, if I remove the powermatch, issue is still there.
Garmin HRM

Thank you in advance

Hi thanks for the compliments and sorry about the dropouts. We have a Neo 1 (that just broke yesterday, we are fixing it) but it was working fine with no dropouts. Can you tell me your phone and also what version of the app you have? We had this problem but it was fixed a few versions ago. The version number is in the bottom of additional options.

Thanks for replying.
Version is 2.6.2
My phone is Samsung A8.
Keep in mind that is was flawless before.

Thank you

Max

If it helps, on dec 10 and before, it was perfect, then few dropouts on dec11, on dec 13 up to now, it is really annoying.

That definitly helps. Sorry again.

No problem, I will try with an Iphone (and samsung A5) and I’ll let you know if the dropouts are still present.

Thank you

Max

Yes and please get me version of the app you have as we had this issue and fixed it recently.

What do you mean, I already gave you the version ? 2.6.2
Do you mean something else ? maybe you haven’t seen my previous response ?

Oh sorry you said it up above. Yes 2.6.2 is from yesterday but it sounds like you are up to date. Let me know if iOS fixes the issue.

Also my developer asked me to ask if you are using power smoothing.

Yes ,3sec power smooting. In my mind power smoothing is only visual, right ?

To clarify, resistance stays the same during the dropouts. I don’t know what would happen if a dropout occurs during an interval change.

Yes actually this is just a problem of reading the data nothing to do with setting ERG. Yes smoothing is visual only, so you are right it should have no effect on what is recorded.

@Maxime just a thought but worth checking I had a problem a while back with an elite turbomuin on TrainerRoad and it was due to interference between two devices “fighting” each other over the signal from the turbo…it did my head in for ages until I realised what was happening and turned BT off on my Laptop which fixed it. Not quite apples with apples but worth eliminating as a possible cause.

1 Like

Thanks Simon, Maxime and I worked together 1:1 and it ended up that restarting his phone fixed the issue.

After the main indoor season this year we are going to work on improving the performance of our app and handling more error states like this. I think performance or device error related issues only affects like 3-5% of users but you never really know.

1 Like

I don’t know if this helps, but I seem to experience similar drops with my cadence sensor. The first image is from TD, the second is from my Garmin watch. They are both tracking cadence using the same Wahoo sensor, but TD drops where Garmin doesn’t. I also get very different results from my Wahoo speed sensor as TD has me at 22.9mi/h avg (35.8 max) and Garmin has me at 17.8mi/h avg (31.3 max). They track very similarly, but TD has me tracking higher. Both issues are consistent on all my rides.

Other people were having cadecne drop outs on their rides but we fixed it for all the others that we know of about a month ago.

Regarding speed our speed is not reading the generic speed from your trainer but is using a formula based on weight an power (I can find other forum article discussing this if you want but it is assuming you are riding in very race positioning and doing a fair amount of drafting. We recently changed it to increase the speed after a few fast guys showed us they average power and zwift speeds and so we increased it to be closer to zwift (we lowered the drag coefficient) indoor cycling and speed is a bit of a funny animal as there is no single right answer. If you want slower speeds just go to the strava settings on our site and click on “climbs.” This will slow you right down :slight_smile:

Regarding your cadence dropouts the only solution I know is to reboot your phone or tablet. If you have an Android device and are willing to work with my developer we would love to help fix it. Since we can’t replicate it and it seems specific to your device(s) there is no way for us to fix it. Let me know.

Hi Alex, I would definitely be open to working with your developers. I am using a Pixel 6 Pro running Android 12 (pre-December release) and TD 2.6.2.

I had a similar issue a long time ago with my android. I mentioned it to Grigory. I am using a 4iii Flight trainer. It was working before. I then switched back to my iphone and did not experience this issue. I have a feeling that it was more a software update on the android instead of the trainer day app itself. I am not sure if i could visualize the dropouts on the screen though but i know that pedaling would become easy suddenly and back hard. Like i mentioned it was months ago. I could try to use my android again to troubleshoot on monday to see if the behavior is still there. Let me know.

Ok, i pulled back my old Xiomi M1 android phone. Not sure the OS version though. 9 maybe ? I updated everything is it is acting the same way. That means, it feels like i am pedaling in the mud. It started a long time ago and i put that on the bluetooth and not on the app. The thing is i am maybe the only one using a flight trainer so it was not worth the programmer’s time. I switched back to the iphone and i have no issue. What it does is that the power does not stay constant. It keeps fluctuating. Going from hard to easy like a wave. so it is not really a dropout.