Official word from Garmin on activities

Same sad story

Sad news!
Thanks for checking and your swift answer though :blush:

1 Like

I am updating this to just clarify there are two/three recommended ways to get your data in Garmin.

1. Download TCX file from our app on your mobile device (this does not include speed and distance)
  2. Go to the activity page on our web site and download TCX
  3. Record your workout on your garmin computer at the same time as using our app to control your trainer

This is MY preferred way. It doesn’t have Distance / Speed info but I manually add the distance after the fact.

I do this because I still want my garmin to update my VO2Max calc and what not.

I’ve been thinking how to Create an app that will be able to transmit (at least) (simulated) speed info to the Garmin so that I do not have to do this manual adding of distance.

Alas, When I tried to BroadCast Speed Info from the app I created, my Garmin doesn’t want to pick it up.

Apps like RunCline is also able to broadcast speed info, but again, my Garmin doesn’t pick it up as a sensor.

I’m told that this is possibly

1. an iOS problem - apple randomises the bt connection ID
  2. My garmin watch problem. Cos RunCline Developer told me that it works for some users.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Now that I think about it… I wonder if it’s possible to merge the data(FIT/TCX) from Garmin and the App and then re-upload it to Garmin. Wonder if Garmin will still honor the VO2Max and what not…

but it’s a lot of steps :frowning:

[Edit: I wrote this long post and then was denied posting. Lucky i saved it somewhere first]

GOTOES might be able to merge/modify.
I will check this evening.

Recording a TD ride on Indoor mode on my Edge 530 picks up virtual speed and distance, and passes that along to Garmin Connect. The speed/distance is a ~10% different from TD’s virtual ride estimates, but close enough as I’m similarly just interested in Garmin’s VO2 tracking.

1 Like

We have drag factor setting in profile you can adjust if you wanted to make them similar. I do the same as you, just track in Garmin out of curiosity of how it thinks I am training and recovering.

I believe what it’s picking up is the Trainer’s Flywheel speed.
Could be wrong…

1 Like

7 posts were split to a new topic: How does Smart trainer device speed work

How does the garmin calculations differ from intervals ?
I primarily use intervals, even though I have a garmin I never really paid much attention to its values

interval takes the values from whatever is recorded by the garmin

1 Like

Hi tried to import a FIT flie from TrainerDay to Garmin Connect, then I synced my FENIX a couple times, but no recalculation on the RECOVERY was done. Does this means that when we input a manual activity to GARMIN there is no update on RECOVERY/VO2/Load…etc ???

It says here only 4 external apps count towards load

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=apva7Th82K6Mm0zY4shzD6

• Tacx Training app
  • Zwift
  • ROUVY
  • TrainerRoad
1 Like

Thanks, unfortunatelly only the big players…interesting to note that sufferfest and RGT have been “excommunicated”…

I know it’s terrible how Garmin does not care about their customers unless it is in their own immediate best interest to do so. I have a Garmin Watch and a Wahoo bike computer so I give up on stuff like this. Luckily or not so luckily that I don’t train consistently enough that monitoring load is so critical. When I do have big weekends like this last one, I just use hrv/min resting hr and how I feel and that seems to be good enough.

1 Like

Upload the files through RunGap, you can even spoof the files.

See my explanation here:

Our Rungap integration should be done soon as well.

2 Likes

One can also use fitfilestools site (Google for that, I’m not sure of exact address) and change kinda “carrier” to Garmin. Works on occasional basis, but painful for everyday use.

For iOS users, here is a solution to syncing activites to Garmin connect

Probably old, but for Android users SyncMyTracks works sending stuff from Strava>Garmin, I’ve been using it for awhile for my Hammerhead Karoo 2 and I just tested it with TrainerDay and it works

1 Like