Option to turn off activity recording?

I’m not exactly sure how the TD app is written and if this is even possible. But here’s my situation: I have an older (2 or 3 years old, so not really that old) Kindle Fire HD that I side-loaded Google Play on and installed TD. This is the only tablet I have and TD is the main reason I got it - I don’t use it for anything else. There are almost no other 3rd party apps on it and no Amazon ads.

After about 9 minutes into a ride, the app freezes for about 20 seconds, then tries to play catchup - it speeds through the 20 seconds it missed and eventually is back on time. Then exactly 10 minutes later, it happens again. And again every 10 minutes.

I’ve also seen issues on longer rides where TD will freeze for just a couple seconds then try to catch up, but it never really does. It seems like it just bogs down and every second drags into 2 or 3 seconds.

Also, when I start TD it takes at least 2 minutes or so to get the training plan loaded and ready to ride. I have to force stop TD at the end of every ride otherwise the next time I use it, it’s even worse. Much worse. Like 10 minutes worse.

When I use my phone (S20) for TD there are absolutely no issues.

To me this looks like the TD app uses a bit too many resources for the Kindle to handle correctly. Is there a way to add an option to skip recording the activity and reduce the load on the tablet? Like I said I’m not sure if this is even a possibility with the way the app works. But I’d like to avoid having to buy another more expensive tablet just for a single purpose.

Thanks!

Hi Jim, yes our app is very resource intensive right now. We use a technolgy that allows us to do faster development and keep our costs down but has extra over head compared to 100% native apps. That said we also feel our code is not perfectly optimized so we are hoping to improve the performance but his is like to be something that takes a while.

We can leave this as a feature request and if more people wanted it we could consider it but we as you can imagine we can’t build features for single users requests. Sorry about this bad news. I wish there was more we could do faster. I really, really want to improve the performance for slower devivces and this is a top priority now it just is slow going.

Thanks Alex. Yeah, I understand. I was hoping there was a simple way to help performance until you get the full optimization done. It’s not really a big deal unless I’m doing short punchy intervals and even then it only affects a few of them. It’s mildly annoying but not enough to quit the app. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I did find a workaround for this: just turn off wifi during a workout. Seems like background processes and apps checking for updates online and TD running is too much for the poor device. I think you can ignore this as a feature request going forward.

1 Like