Please add Ant+ support (COMPLETED)

Some older equipment (power meters, heart rate straps) are ANT+ only. Additionally ANT+ sensors are usually in broadcast mode which allows for multiple receivers.

Also having both Bluetooth and ANT+ makes some setups easier such as running Zwift and Trainerday simultaneously where different hardware and software can be using different protocols.

Thanks for bringing this feature to us! Today I tried pairing my Garmin 45 with a very old Samsungs Galaxy Tab A (native ant+ support) and a Galaxy Tab A8 (no-name USB2.0 dongle via a USB-C adapter) - both connected properly.

A few hours later I started a ride on the Galaxy Tab A and there was a huge difference in the readings (e.g. Garmin’s 105 bpm vs TD’s 85) - removing the device and adding it back fixed the issue and it worked flawlessly after that. I’d successfully used my Tab A & Garmin45 with TrainerRoad before. Thanks again!!

image|690x336

1 Like

For power meters, the ANT+ protocol also has the advantage of having support for L/R dual channel metrics. BLE only has unified Left and you don’t have the L/R balance parameter in your resulting FIT file. Ifyou are recording to tcx, this has no importance because tcx does not support the L/R anyway.

Thanks but my 4iiii flight trainer i guess dies not support left and right power. It is connected via ant + to my Fenix 6 but when I go to Garmin connect on the web, i do not have left and right power. But why using ant + with trainer day then. I assume using bt blé may be better because the transfer rate is faster.

A lot of people have older equipment (trainer, power meter, hrm, speed/cadence, …) that is ANT+ only. To work with TrainerDay BLE, they would need to buy new equipment that has both ANT+ and BLE.
A lot of BLE equipment is one channel only. Meaning that you can connect only one device/app to it. Modern HRM now allow 2 BLE channels. If you run TrainerDay alongside Zwift for example, you need multiple connections.

1 Like

Agree. My trainer has both ant+ and 3 channels ble.

Ok our biggest request ever is finally done. Hopefully it works for everyone. It took way more time to do this than I expected but we did create an Ant+ module that is open source so other developers and products can benefit from it as well.

@MaximumTrainer Maybe you want to point your library to ours on github if you like it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi, sorry for the dumb question: I see many users are referring to the beta version… do I need the beta to use my ANT+ sensor? I just installed the latest version from the Play Store (can’t find the version anywhere), the release notes mention “ANT+ support” but it doesn’t seem to work: the app detects my Garmin speed/cadence sensor but when I click on the “+” button the device is yellow (some screenshots in this thread show it green) and if I try to train, the phone doesn’t receive any data. Reinstalling the app didn’t help.
I have a Samsung A5 (built-in ANT+ support) with all the ANT+ drivers installed. The sensor is working with other apps.
Thanks!

(BTW kudos for open sourcing the ANT+ module!)

Yes this does not require beta any more, so you have the right version. So are you saying you don’t have a power meter? So far we are not supporting “virtual power” from Ant+ yet, meaning convert speed to power. It sounds like that is what you need. Is my understanding correct?

Hi Alex,

yes, correct: I don’t have a pm, I found another thread (I would like virtual power. Will you add it? (COMPLETED) - #71 by Alex) mentioning virtual power support so I thought it was supported regardless of the sensor type. Any plans to add it?

Thanks

We just launched Ant+ a few days ago so virtual power did not make it in yet. My developer asked me if this was a rush last week and I said no. I just changed the answer to yes :). We should be able to do this pretty quickly (a week or two). What trainer do you have? We should make sure we have a similar power curve supported.

I have a Tacx Satori; I see the virtual power thread has a link to Golden Cheetah power curves, the trainer should be already supported. Thank you very much! Looking forward to try the app!

1 Like

@Alex

I did a workout last week and everytime I paired it in ant+ my phone kept restarting. As soon as I switched to BLE it is fine. In fact it is rock solid on BLE.

How can help with this problem? I had a Samsung s8 phone. It works fine with the TrainerRoad app using ant+.

Edit: I used my assioma duos in powermatch with my Tacx neo 1. I also paired a polar HRM.

Good it is rock solid on BLE. Interesting on Ant+. Are you connecting all devices to Ant+ or just specific ones? Just currious is there a reason you want Ant+. My developer is researching our error logs now as well.

i tested again ant + with the latest beta. i checked and i had the flight trainer, power and polar h10 paired and connected but watts were staying at zero when i started pedaling. i removed and re added. this time instead of zero, i had a power button icon. i closed the app and turned off bluetooth. this time power worked fine but i had no bpm. i had it on my garmin so i did not bother playing with it. the ride was smooth with ant+ using the tacx dongle.

Wow, I always heard how consistent and stable Ant+ is. Well maybe for big companies with lots of testers :slight_smile: I thought devices would be consistent. Nope.

I’ll try connecting one device at a time and see what is causing it.

1 Like

If you are willing to work with my developer we can get this resolved. Should not take much time and you might get some training in while doing it.

You know how to find Grigory :slight_smile:

Yes of course.