Please scale workouts that are > 200%

It’s impossible to visually see what is happening with workouts > 200% unless you change your FTP.

On that topic: I know you want to make workouts comparable. If you look at my different workouts above, you see different time intervals from 30 minutes to over an hour. TrainerDay has no problem scaling the time x-axis. Clearly, people understand time requires different scales. I don’t understand why you can’t scale the power y-axis in the same fashion. Why would riders understand scaling the x-axis but not the y-axis? FWIW: I have worked in the BI industry for 43 years. We have always scaled graphs to fit the data and never heard from customers that keeping scales the same across charts is a good idea. My $0.02. All the best Alex.

Ok so I moved this to a new feature request. Let see if other people vote for this. For me there are foue problems with this

1. We have so much code in 3 different apps and lots of different places that do this it is probably 100 hours of work with dev and testing
  2. Only one person is asking for this so far :slight_smile:
  3. I don’t like how it looks scaled or the user experience, although all workouts <200% could stay the same and >200% could be scaled, so this would be a small amount of workouts affected.
  4. TrainerRoad set the standard for this although I do see in other sites/apps the do some scaling but I have not seen any major apps that show scale and FTP line and also show more than 200%. Maybe some do.

Also Craig if it was only during the workout that it was scaled that would make it significantly less work. Meaning just on that one workout screen or I need to talk to my App developer maybe only inside the training app if he uses the same code for all charts in the app.

I would be happy with workout only. While I use TrainerDay to glance at past workouts and scan thumbnails, I use other tools for analysis.

During a workout: Show the entire graph based on planned watts for either slope or erg intervals. If the highest interval is 700w, the upper limit for the y-axis should be about 750-800w. Slope mode needs slightly more headroom because a common goal for slope workouts is to exceed the target. In Erg mode, letting the bike hit the target is the only task, so less overrun is needed.

Thanks.

I think TrainingPeaks sets most standards. TrainerRoad tries to commercialize them :nerd_face:. TrainingPeaks was started by the coaches, athletes and mathematicians who created most of the formulas we commonly use.

TrainingPeaks registered trademarks include TrainingPeaks®, TSS®, Training Stress Score®, IF®, Intensity Factor®, NP®, Normalized Power® and VirtualCoach®.

TrainingPeaks is more data focused than most. As such, I am a fan. They seem to scale their graphs.

Yes I understand. That is what I thought. I was trying to ask you that before but you did not seem to understand my question. The importance of scaling during workout makes more sense to me (as you said you can use other platforms for analysis) and I like this more. Let me see how much work this. Yeah I might do 3 different scales. The current 200+% scale, a 300+% scale and a 400+% scale, or something like this. Or I might do as you suggest as well which might be better at 15% over max wattage and round up to nearest 100w increment for the top line.

It really bothers me that you have to adjust your FTP and I can only imagine it bothers you more :slight_smile:

Let me think on this, no promises it is coming soon but I am warming up to just this workout view.

Not sure if this helps the solution any, but what about changing where the “floor” of the workout is as far as the power axis goes? IE, find the interval(s) in the workout with the lowest power, and then start numbering the graph from maybe 20W below that?

That would (maybe?) increase the amount of useful data displayed on the page.

That’s an interesting idea. It’s true there is a lot of wasted empty space. I see that as a bit different, I see that one as a setting. For me I would not want this but especially on smaller phones or some people might pefer that. I will think on it and do a mockup some time to compare the difference. It could be scaled at top and bottom for workouts that don’t go so high in power.