Ramp Test FTP confusion

Hello, Trainer Day peeps,

I just completed the Whoosh ramp test. The description notes say, “Your FTP is calculated from your peak 1min power produced.” I uploaded the file to Training Peaks; my peak one-minute power was 324. Garmin and TD asked if I wanted to update my new FTP of 234 after the test.

What is the math used to determine my new FTP of 234? I need clarification. Thanks for providing any insight into my question.

The ramp test estimates FTP by taking the average power of your last minute of the test and multipling it by a percentage (Zwift and TrainerRoad use roughly 75 per cent). This is done as an estimation of your LT2, as its importance was discussed earlier. Your LT as a percentage of your PPO (Peak Power Output) is an important determinant of endurance performance and cyclists should aim to have an LT at ~80 per cent of their PPO.

As a coach, I recommend utilising the ramp test for FTP testing, training-zone prescription and performance monitoring. The information gathered from the ramp test is more reliable than that of the FTP20, where a poorly paced effort can make a huge difference to your results.

2 Likes

Yes, 324*.75=234. We use the same 75%. As Samoramobile ( João) pointed out ramp tests are highly consitent which makes them good for monitoring improvement. They might over or under estimate your actual lactate threshold but there are no tests totally accurate and predictable/consistent and accurate enough is good. The great part is a ramp test is painless compared to a 20 minute or 8 minute test. A slight change from João’s message we take your best 1-minute which means you don’t have to instantly stop pedalling at the end, you can slow down slightly and it won’t count against you.

2 Likes

Using this thread for a follow up questions.

Started a CJ plan 2 weeks ago, what’s the frequency to which I should do an FTP test? Once every month ?

It really depends. I would say that’s about the minium time between them. If you are doing an agressive build plan and coming from a low base that might make sense. Generally for most plans I would say 1 time per month is enough and unless you are a beginner on the bike then really every couple months is probably enough. Ramp tests can provide motivation but the problem is winter is a good time for aerobic improvement that may not be directly related to FTP improvement, especially ramp test that has a stron anerobic component to it. Sorry if that is not a great answer :slight_smile: I hope it helps.