Recoveries in VO2 vs. Threshold

Hey Alex,
I looked into the VO2 and Threshold progressions, and here’s what I found interesting. VO2 max #8 MS is 3:00 at 115% and 2 min recovery. Threshold #8 is 4:00 at 100% and 4 min of recovery. I find this a bit inconsistent, since I would rather make it vice versa, VO2 interval clearly requires more time to recover.

I edit workouts in TP but just in case this may be smth to look into.

Thanks much!

It’s not inconsistent.
The purpose of a threshold session is to spend as much time as possible around the threshold power. Take some good recovery and then hit the FTP again for a longer effort.
For a VO2max workout, the purpose is to spend as much time as possible at a heartrate >95% of HR max. If you recover all the way, it takes way to much time to get back to that high HR. So you just get some brief recovery to let the muscles regain enough power to get back to the core of your session = high HR. If you recover too long, the time at the high HR will be much shorter. That’s why VO2max sessions are often done with short ON/OFF intervals. The muscles can handle the high power for longer that way and your HR is almost consistently very high.

2 Likes

Well, I got your point. At the same time, I took the MS and made a separate workout of it, it shows 48 TSS in 28 min with IF of 1.01. It may be barely doable (I personally doubt it is) but what’s going on down the road?? It’s just 8th level.

So, because VO2max has a heavy anaerobic contribution it means that W’ comes into play here especially when talking about 28 minutes. IF is more related to aerobic capacity. So for some with a strong W’ it might be hard and for others it might be impossible. I assume you are talking about VO2max crunched from the custom option and you may have turned up the intensity slider on your plan? In this case it is possible to create workouts that will be impossible for some people (me).

You can see from a W’ perspective it should be doable for someone with 200/13

This is #18, this is seriously ugly but still theoretically possible.

I really think when doing workouts > threshold it’s important to implement some RPE in that in the sense, just scale back a little if it is too much. My beliefs are in this video

I will double check with Andrea and see what he thinks once you confirm exactly what workouts you are doing. Send me a link to your plan or calendar.

If it is too hard, and it probably will be if your FTP is correct, allow the power to drop somewhat. The important thing for VO2max workouts is that your HR stays high.
And that’s also why they are so damned hard…
I personally don’t do that kind of work anymore, I find it to demanding at 59 y old.
My hardest workouts are Over-Unders.
But during spirited group rides, I every now and then find myself at those high breathing frequencies and almost maxed out HR. It’s a bit easier to find the motivation in those conditions :wink:

1 Like

Excellent and entertaining video!

1 Like

I am 57 and 100% with you there, these super hard workouts are best left for the kids like @Bad_Santa :slight_smile: My sprints are all when following my twin 8-year olds up MTB hills.

exactly this… I find myself no longer too interested (translation - indoor suffering allergic) in these VO2 styled workouts anymore. Leaving all the huffing and puffing during outdoor rides at specific KOM or climb sessions w/ the gang. It’s very easy to go down deep during these rides.

WPrime going down nearly 25mins of pushing @ average 105% FTP
Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 1.08.06 PM

note: after getting covid, I can’t get / hit my prev max HR before I give up.

1 Like

I’m pretty much close to you Alex, I’m 57 this year :slight_smile:

excellent video, I have to agree I have become a slave of metrics over the years, it’s always like “oh man, you are 3W below the target, push it, crank those pedals man!!!”. Yep, it’s a psychological condition. Once you get high in FTP it becomes so valueable bc of the time you spent on it that you cannot agree it goes down and you are not that fast anymore…

I’m on this plan at the moment, week 6 currently. I usually modify/simplify it in TP adding Z2 interval to match the route so it looks usually like MS + ~30 min of Z2.

Yesterday I made VO2 max crunched #7 and despite of the fact I have modifieid it extending recoveries up to 3 min and adding longer recovery after 3rd interval, I blew up on the last interval. Here’s the workout data

I will look into CP and W’, this is very interesting idea indeed to understand if you are capable of doing it till the end. Could you pls share some explanation of how to understand this red line?

UPD: link is given will look deeper into it and revert.

Ok so you are just a bad ass :slight_smile: So if you have more of time trial physiology vs sprinter then it would be much harder for you then someone with a sprinter profile. Search our blog, I have about 3 articles explaining how W’ works. CP is generally your best 20 minutes, or 1.05 X FTP.

Here is one example article but others explain it a bit better. I need to do a video on this. AWC and W’ are the same thing.

https://blog.trainerday.com/how-to-determine-your-w-missing-calculator-17967294a1e4

Generally as the red line gets closer to the bottom it gets very hard. The red line is W’Bal meaning the balance of what is left (theoretically) in your gas AWC or W’ tank.

Something like below with repeats of digging deep is even harder than hitting absolute 0 (the bottom) one time.

Interesting, we got sick often this winter and my guess is one of them was COVID but we never got tested since we were staying home anyway. But my tolerance for higher HR is low these days as well. I was thinking I was just getting more lazy. Maybe I have a better excuse :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m a VERY into ultra endurance, I can ride for like 12h non stop but I would be the last finishing on any crit probably :slight_smile:

Reading you posts on W’, thanks much, Alex.

Yep so that likely contributes to your flatter curve and less ability (compared to a sprinter with the same FTP) to do intensities greater than FTP. I agree with @MedTechCD I would lower the intensity rather than make longer rests, but really longer rests are ok too. This is easy in our app but I not sure how you do that in Zwift or others. You can use our app to control the trainer and Zwift (or others) to ride in assuming you can connect Zwift to Ant+. In our app just press the - button to get to 110%. Also our VO2max intervals might be a bit easier at 110% in the crunched version.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the help, you are so great!

1 Like