[COMPLETED] - Repeat Interval Feature

People have asked for this many times. For example if you accidentally skip forward or just want to add one more interval. I have another idea, that I think is a good one :slight_smile:

It’s repeat interval but it shows a popup that defaults to your last interval and rest you did but allows you to modify it and add multiple new intervals.

This is just an idea at this point. Trying to make it as simple and fast and flexible as possible. In most cases it could be just 2 clicks to add 1 more interval like you just did.

Hello Alex,

During my workout today, I noticed a new feature that is very similar to this one that you had proposed last November. While I definitely see the benefit of being able to add an interval (or intervals) with a custom length and intensity, I do miss the simple single button press to just add 30 seconds or 1 minute to the current interval. That seems to have been removed and replaced with this new button that then displays a pop up module.

Is there a way we could make it an option for which one we use? This isn’t so bad for Z2 workouts when I’m just rolling along, but when I’m doing V02 max efforts and I’m towards the end of an interval and I want to extend it 30-60 seconds longer, it is a real pain to do now as I’m crippled over my handlebars gasping for air with 10 seconds to go and now trying to select all sorts of options while the clock is ticking down.

On another note, and I don’t mean to hijack this thread for a different feature, but is there a way during a ramp test to turn off the constant prompts to stop the test if it doesn’t sense a cadence? I often don’t use a cadence sensor indoor and the pop up constantly coming up on every step of the ramp test is rather annoying and blocks the screen. Again not such a huge deal on the lower steps, but when getting towards the end and I feel like my eyes are bleeding it is not easy to hit the “continue” button.

I want to stress these are very small nitpicks, overall I love your product and what it provides me with.

2 Likes

Please, please request everything you want. These are not nit-picky they are excellent!!! I thought the cadence thing only showed up once. Sorry about that. We will make so it is once.

I was just going to create a video on this. I believe we can accomplish the same thing you need here but it might need some small improvements once I get some feed back like yours. But I think if you want to extend a rest or anything, you just have to click the off and you get a single interval. I think you will find this is super fast. Obviously not a single click. What we could do is remember your “favorite” interval. Which could be a specific duration rest so you click +, favorite and insert. If you like modifying the the length of rest or interval obviously this one is much more useful. My example has 5 clicks but if you want if you wanted seconds it might be 3 clicks.

Please give my ideas a try here and let me know if this “favorite” idea would help a lot. It still would be 2 clicks meaning if you always used favorite it could go back to that each time so one for + and one for insert. So one extra click from before. Let me know. I will create a video. As I said I think this needs some fine tuning, I just wanted to let everyone try it and give feedback first.

1 Like

Yes I would love a “favorite” interval.

For me I would want it to just be a First Effort set to 30 seconds at the same watts of the current interval I am doing, with the Second Effort set to “Off”.

This way I can simply add 30 second blocks to the current effort I’m doing if I feel strong and want to extend it. I find this handy whenever I’m doing interval work and want to push myself a little extra.

I think our disconnect is that in this feature you are giving the ability to add “intervals” (ie: more repetitions of efforts), where as I’m usually more concerned with just adding time onto the current interval I am doing. Let me know if this makes sense.

One of the two intervals that shows when you popup now should be the watts you are doing, the the only thing is it might take some clicks to get it to 30 seconds and turn off the other interval. I would love it if you played with it more and see how difficult the current solution is but for sure I assume there is some method of “favorite.” The problem I am afraid of is that each person might have different kinds of favorites.

Ok look at this. So it would remember your last settings for favorite and if last time you chose favorite it would default to favorite. So in this case once you set it to 30 seconds and current interval Power percent, it would always give you that (what you had before). So 2 clicks to give you what you had instead of 1.

Hi Alex. I’m all for adding new features and keep improving the tech but for me ,personally, the new ‘+’ features was too much.

I personally much preferred the simplified version that you previously had. All I really need is the ability to be able to press one button to extend the current interval by x minute. Specially when I’m really struggling and my HR is through the roof, It’s really hard to fiddle around with all the buttons.

If I feel like I can extend a current interval, I’m always gradually adding an extra 5mins. Once that 5mins is almost over and if I feel like I can keep going, I just need to press the + icon. With this new one, it requires too many steps to simply add 5mins.

If there’s any way to bring back the simplified + button or to enable the simplified option through the settings, that would be amazing!

Also, the new feature does not display the current interval, which I found frustrating. If I wanted to extend 193w by 5mins, I had to keep pressing a lot of + buttons to bring 86w to 193w :frowning:

https://imgur.com/a/JJuhdC3

2 Likes

Let us start with the 2 click version above and see how that is, and if that seems still not ideal we will see what we can do.

1 Like

You can see here you can do this in 7 clicks but I realize instead of 1 it’s not great.

I am usually extending rests not hard work :slight_smile: So it’s not so bad… But again this will just be 2 clicks with no thinking required in this next iteration.

Hi Alex, Have to agree with the others here.
I’m finding this new + feature far too complicated when I’m just wanting to extend a rest interval when doing hard intervals.

The old + 10 seconds button was much appreciated when needing to get your breath back when your mentally as well as physically fatigued.

For me this new feature of adding intervals, while a great idea, should be kept separate from the original.

2 Likes

Yes the problem is on some devices we did not have enough room for an additional button because putting buttons too close together causes people to click the wrong one on accident.

I had a good idea that I can add a “lock feature.” Which you set the duration you want one time and select current % and lock and then from then on you just press + like it used to be, and if you want to “unlock it” to make changes you just do a long press. Then you have exactly what you had.

Love this new feature !! I tried it out and I do believe I ran into a bug.

Alex : check out this file:
Trainer Day - Activity Detail

I did a first block of 3 repeats. Then I wanted to do the same again. Afer the 3rd “first interval”, the second effort was not added and as such the trainer was “stuck” in the first effort. Which I left on for 5 minutes since I liked the challenge :slight_smile: The advanges of “random training”…

I do have one “feature request” : you are now limited to 3 repeats, would it be difficult to add “more”, like up to 5? If anybody else is interested.

btw : trainerday is becoming more and more ahead of the “avatar tools”… I was speaking with some junior competitive riders in the last week. Who had no clue something like Trainerday even exists… Their coaches are showing a serious lack of understanding to be honest… Not lack of understand of tools, but lack of understanding how physiology works. What I’m really wondering : how difficult will it be when the continuous lactate meters arrive to take that input instead of the heart rate ? Because when that happens, cycling will change forever… I also wonder how long it would take the commercial platforms to integrate that…

Hi, cool. I knew someone would run into an issue. :slight_smile: regarding how this part of it works. We had to do some magic to try to guess what to insert, so it depends on when you press the + button. Right now it’s designed that it should work best during the last rest period right after a set of intervals.

My guess is currently that you ran into an issue because you tried to do it during the work period of the “interval pair.” I knew we would need to enhance this. I need to test all the options more myself but if you can provide any info on when you did or at least when you feel you want to press +. Probably it should be smart enough to know what you want whenever you press + :slight_smile:

It’s even slightly possible it even matters when during the rest period or if other intervals come right after the training. I just wanted to get it out there and collect some feedback so yours is helpful.

Yes, it’s funny there seems to be two camps. Do the workout exactly like I told you to, or just go out and chase an avatar… Now some days you just want to pedal and forget and that is fine. Meaning Zone 2 HR or Zone 3 ERG or something that’s fine. But when you want to do harder training it should be calculated but dynamic :slight_smile:

Yes, I guess there will be a “lactate mode” like our current HR mode at some point although I am not sure how big that market will be. By the time lactate training is big enough we should also be big enough that it will be a feature that makes sense to us, if no one else. TrainerRoad is fixated on that hard training so MLSS might fit into their interest as well, since HR mode does not seem so interesting to them but 2 mmol would be an interesting zone 2 mode and super interesting to compare to HR.

I also agree there is some strange stuff going on in the coaching world, many amazing coaches but some seem to be living out of touch. I know one coach said they thought Coach Jack was a coaching solution so they were afraid to recommend TD.

Seems like 5 should fit ok. It’s funny because I started with 5… But figured someone could just do 3+2… but since there is room and you see the vision we can make it 5…

1 Like

The most user friendly implementation I have ever seen of something like this, is to simply tap the workout graph at the location where you want to jump to. Forward or backward, no buttons needed, intuitive, fast, …

Depending on the interval you put in, after 3 of them, you are happy the next 2 don’t need an interaction with a device :slight_smile: :grinning:

1 Like

That works for repeats but this current solution adds a lot more flexibility (add new intervals) but I realize in many cases simplicity is more important than flexibility. Also I guess if you make a mistake you would need an undo. We currently use click for zoom but that could be changed. Also might be hard for precision. Who has this feature?

I tested it and it’s working fine for me. There are two potential issues. You don’t want to use this until you have started your second hard interval or later. Second is it is grabbing the rest before interval not after which on some cases could be confusing. Other than that it works correctly for me.

Ergvideo has that

Ok, cool, I will try theirs.