[SOLVED] - Making the switch from Trainer Road (WRONG TSS)

Just signed up for paid subscription and coming from Trainer road(5 years). I build most of my own workouts anyway and other than their calendar don’t feel like I’m getting much bang for my $. I train regularly and am looking forward to being part of this forum. I plan jump right in and workout today so If you have any good quick start tips I am all ears. I will be linking workouts to Strava and Garmin so hopefully that is seamless. TIA

Welcom Paul, We can’t send completed activities to Garmin. If you are iOS user use RunGap though. TrainerDay will be a little bit of learning curve but as you start to see our cool features like merging workouts on the fly and mixing workouts with slope, ERG and HR mode you should have some fun. I was the same as you. Ex-TR user that built my own workouts and did not see the value. You should love our workout creator compared to theirs :slight_smile: It’s a million times faster and more flexible.

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick reply earlier today Alex. I spent some time today building and modifying some of the workouts within the app but have a question about TSS on my TD calendar. I was happy to see TD imported all of my previous workouts from Strava but the TSS is way off. My Trainer road calendar shows 20-30% lower values than TrainerDay. The weight and FTP input is matches on both so the only other variable I can see making a difference is bike weight which should make zero difference on the trainer. I also have multiple bikes when I ride outside and use a power meter most of the time so am confused by such a vast difference in TSS values. Any thoughts on how to get these values closer to the same.

Oh that’s interesting. Can you go to our activities in the site and send me the link to your workout and tell me what the TSS for the same workout is in TR. Is there any possibility you had a different FTP at the time of doing the workout as you do now? The only thing that matters is all the power values and FTP for TSS. Having TSS on Strava import is new for us so it’s possible there is a bug.

I just verified a few of my workouts and they were correct (compared to IntervalsICU and TrainingPeaks). My guess is it is a FTP difference between what your FTP was at the time of doing the activity? Still send me one of your examples please and your FTP at that time and your FTP now.

If you are looking on previous workouts, Trainerroad will probably use the FTP of the past (FTP of the time of the workout) which TrainerDay can’t know.

1 Like

Let me work on pulling a few recent workouts together for you. I realize there may be a slight difference as even Garmin and TR show a small difference but not what TD is showing. Strava power numbers without a power meter are totally whacky. I don’t know why they even post them as they seem like just a guess like someone throwing darts blindfolded.

Oh yes, our system does not work if there are no power readings. They might use HR tss, we don’t currently.

All the workouts below will be since I have adjusted my FTP about 5 weeks ago from 226 to 230. All the power data comes from a set of dual sided Favero Assioma pedals that I calibrate regularly and whenever I switch them from one bike to another bike.
Here is my most recent outdoor workout this past Wed. 35.7 mi Ride Activity on November 22, 2023 by Paul P on Strava. TR assigned TSS @ 196/ TD shows 281.
This is from a big ride we did down in Ga last wknd. 78.1 mi Ride Activity on November 18, 2023 by Paul P on Strava. TR assigned TSS @276/ TD shows 346
Another recent outdoor example 47.4 mi Ride Activity on November 5, 2023 by Paul P on Strava TR assigned TSS @195/ TD shows 328
Looking back at my indoor/on trainer workouts the most recent ones are within a point or two so that is fine.

Can you send link to one in TD also?

It says see details on Strava when I click on it. Here is the link to share my calendar. Let meknow if there is a better way. Trainer Day

Well that didn’t work…hmmm not sure how to make it so you can view my calendar.

I know the above is a bit crude but if you match up the dates and the TSS to previous text these are the recent outdoor rides I referenced above. I know this is probably a bit of a headache for you and apologize if it is something I am overlooking. A big part of my training and tracking progress is via TSS and it needs to be fairly accurate in order for me to depend on it.

Click on it, go to details and copy the link from the top, or go to activities tab and click on it and copy link

Just link to one completed activity is fine.

There is small menu on calendar which allows sharing calendar as well but one activity is good.

“go to details and copy the link from the top”…it says view details on Strava. I sent those links above. 35.7 mi Ride Activity on November 22, 2023 by Paul P on Strava