[Solved] - TD app freezes while running in background

I’ve used the app with my iPhone 13 mini (latest updates installed) for the past 18 month without any problems. Since a few days the app frezzes while it runs in the background (I use the Zwift compagnion app during my workouts). When I go back to the TD app from time to time to adjust the power settings, the TD app is not in workout mode anymore, it’s on “Today” while the workout symbol blinks in green. When I tap on the workout symbol the app shows the running workout, but didn’t record anything since it froze. My last workout was 1:50 hours long, but the app showed only about 1 hour. It’s even worse when I use the HR mode. The HR controll falls back to it’s starting level and rises very slowly to my originally set percentage. This can take minutes.

Hi sorry about that. We will have fix today or tomorrow. We are testing it now.

New version should be Android later today and Apple later today or tomorrow.

Done. In app store

1 Like

Tried it today. I still have the issue.

Oh no… Sorry we have not tested extensive background mode yet, we just assumed it would be fixed too. So do you attempt to leave it in the background for the entire 2 hours? Was your battery low? What was the time difference this time? Was this the HR mode this time? Maybe one of your devices is losing connection? Sorry for all the questions. You can wait to answer until after we test it.

You also could try to uninstall, reinstall and restart your phone and try again…

We really want our app to work well in your scenario so this is important to us.

I have this issue, too.
Using iPad Air, iPadOS 17, battery was 100%, and after 90minutes of training at 89%.
App was latest update from today.
I‘m starting FulGaz and connecting only power from kickr snap, and heartrate sensor. Switching to TD and connecting both, too.
Started an HR ride in TD, Setting hr target to Z2, switched back to FulGaz and started a virtual ride there. TD did the job for 30 minutes, after this time power get stucked. after 1h of riding switched to TD app to see if I can solve the problem. app started over again, and loaded current activity, but Timer was at 31 minutes or so, and HR Target was at recovery, changed it to ERG and set power target for the rest of the session. Switched to FulGaz again. Switched then after further 20 minutes back to TD, then it was still running.
Maybe a problem of ios17, that it stops TD, because it is running in background…?

Could provide both sessions to you (TD and FulGaz), if it would help.

So will try to work around this issue tomorrow, switching to TD every 20 minutes.

Ok thanks for the feedback. We will test background mode and see if we need more details. Let me know if 20 minutes background helps. I will make sure and try iOS17 not sure what I have.

I sometimes do 2h endurance rides. If I wanted to use HR mode, it should be longer than 20 minutes.
Beside that I can back the previos description of the error. I also have the impression that this only started after I updated to iOS 17.

Of course, it was meant to be a temporary workaround. I opened TD about every 20 minutes and switched right back, and it ran smoothly in the background for a total of an hour. So the “shutdown” of the TD app will probably happen after about 30m in the background.

Thanks so much. We will test this.

Ok I was able to duplicate this. I just left in the background using our broadcast feature so I could see when it stopped. For me it stopped in about 30 minutes. Since we can duplicate this it should be easy to fix. Not sure why this happened after my developer fixes it we should know why.

Ok guys, my developer said he fixed this. I tested 40min and no problems so I assume it is fixed. We will try to get this in production in the next couple days and in worst case early next week. We will also do a longer test.

1 Like

Fixed in 4.1.8 but some users are having other slow downs with greater than 90 minutes