[Solved] - Timer Related Issues

Yes there seems to be a direct relationship between longer efforts and this problem. Yes this speeding up is our algorithm in process when things get behind.

And yes, I think notifications and extra background processes are a likely cause of triggering it but since it usually seems to happen more towards the end it would seem it should be performance related (our theory is that it it’s because a lot more data points are plotted), but your phone is so fast it’s an interesting case. I have an 11pro and have never seen this but I have zero notifications and very little running in the background. I also rarely do long workouts but I have and my team has run tests for 2 hours many times and never see anything. We even put the app in the background for these tests and if it does slow down it just speeds back up to fix things.

Ok let me work with my developer and this debug option might help at least to test our potential fixes.

Hi guys to give an update. My app developer (Grigory) has re-written our charts from CPU based to GPU based and he can see that our CPU processing in the old version was 95% chart re-drawing and in new version is 0% and very low CPU usage. We have high hopes this will solve this timing issue the right way. Should be another week or at the most two until this is available.

Interestingly, that’s what I was doing yesterday… moving BreakAway: Indoor Training charts line drawing from CPU based to GPU based. It really helped immensely on my Ipad Mini 2 (year 2013) as compared to when it was running on a newer phone like the iphone 11.

This would definitely help w/ the timing issues on the TD App.

Thank you very much. I used the new version yesterday and it worked as months ago, flawless. Not only the intervals but changing the chart scaling is reacting immediately with no delay.

This seems to be all resolved finally.

Is there a way of changing a previous workout file? I dual record, but my TrainerDay workout file is 5-6 minutes shorter. Thanks.

Hi Sam, if you are connected to Strava, and you uploaded your workout from Garmin to Strava you could delete the one you did in our app and on our website you will just see the strava one. Not sure if that helps.

I had a problem today that about 1h45m into my workout the clock froze and the app took 3-5 seconds to respond to the intensity buttons or from watts to % of ftp… then the clock moved on 1 seconds then paused again. The output display continued to show the output second by second but the clock didn’t move.
Basically the session was 3x 30min and on the last 30 minute interval in the last 5 minutes 8 mintues elasped but only 5 mintues on the TD clock. Garmin file a 33 minute Interval (real time elapsed) - TD 30 minutes as programmed.

Sorry to hear. Do happen to know if you ran low on battery. Also it sounds like this was an ERG workout. What phone or device are you using? Did you have HR monitor connected?

It was a before work session battery 95% plus. It was all in erg I think, I normally do the interval in Slope mode and the rest in erg but I didn’t today so it was all erg from what I remember.

Garmin Chest HR strap. Vector dual pedals, Kickr 2021-22?

Phone Galaxy S20 built in Ant+ and Bluetooth

Not had this issue for over a year.

App seemed to be reporting power but the clock was stopped, not paused. Auto pause not on. New batteries in Vectors last weekend. No power dropout or cadence drop outs in the Garmin fit file.

TD has only just uploaded (the save button was greyed out for an age, closed app and reopened(. TD time elapsed 114:10… Garmin time elapsed 120:51

Note: nothing else on the phone has been lagging today or recently (phone was also cool)

Yes we are getting multiple reports of long workouts having problems. This will be fixed ASAP

1 Like

Alex,

You’re obviously aware of the issues with timing but I just wanted to communicate my observations after using the app often for 2-4 hrs per day. I occasionally experienced issues with my iPad Pro/Wahoo Kickr in the previous iteration of the app (versions prior to 4.1.1). When I saw the timer starting to lag it would typically be when the charting had the entire workout in view. It would also typically happen well into a workout (2+ hrs). The timer would typically catch up (writing data a lot more quickly) if I switched to the 5-min tick view or 1-min tick view. Once the timer caught up, the app would continue functioning properly.

In V4.1.1 the timer issues have become a lot more frequent. In the past couple of sessions, pressing + or - to increase/decrease the erg resistance has triggered a laggy timer and same with auto-extend. Changing the charting view no longer triggers the app to “catch back up”. The only solution has been to manually pause and start the timer again, which will have the timer operating normally for a period of time…but it will start to run into issues again a couple minutes later…or as soon as you press +/-, a time increase, etc.
Here’s part of my workout from yesterday where this occurred (eventually I just ended it and started a new session): TD Workout

I think I’ve used every training app out there and this is by far my favorite - mostly due to the ease and simplicity of creating, categorizing, and executing workouts…I should have a decent number of 2-3 hour sessions in the coming weeks so please let me know if they’d be beneficial for debugging.

Oh wow… My developer just created a way to insert a 2 hour workout as a starting point for our testing (we should have done this a long time ago). And we are seeing exactly what you just confirmed!!! We found the new problem with 4.1.1 (he removed some performance code partially on accident and partially because he thought was not necessary but obviously was). But then we also see this problem of changing zoom levels. I will tell him about + - also. We should have a fix out later today or tomorrow. That at least gets it back to previous levels and but also might improve this zoom / + - issue.

I will let you know if we need your help but please keep providing feedback as we fix this. So happy TD is the best for you :slight_smile:

It happen to me again today and I can confirm it started at exactly 1hr45mins for me (and also in Slope or erg mode)

Yes we have the fix, but we found a different bug we are fixing. Hopefully sent for approval today and ready tomorrow. Thanks for your feedback.

New version should be Android later today and Apple later today or tomorrow.

Done. In app store

I had this issue again the other day (probably because of too many apps in the background, using my phone while riding, etc) and I noticed that, if I skipped ahead to the next interval in the planned workout, the timer sped up and caught up to my Garmin. I dual record, so I knew the timer in the app was correct once it caught up.

Thanks for feedback. Yes our app still demands a fair amount of power so it can slow down especially in the background with lots going on or a slow device but also we have a bug that if it is in the background too long it can pause. We will keep testing/fixing background related issues now.