Some general questions about CJ plans and workouts. And indoor vs outdoor

Hi there,
I have a few basic questions: I used CJ to create a training plan (The Serious Italian). In the created workouts, you can now press a button in the web UI that switches the workout from indoor mode to outdoor mode. In the latter, the intervals are smoothed and the distribution of the performance zones changes.
Indoor:

Outdoor:

Can this be prevented or why are the outdoor workouts not converted correctly so that the training load remains the same?

And are the switched workouts then synchronized to intervals.icu or do the original workouts remain there?

Furthermore, the purpose of the app doesn’t really make sense to me. I use a Wahoo Bolt, which I pair with the sensors, and I synchronize the training to the Wahoo via TrainingPeaks. Completed training sessions are not synchronized back into the app. Only in intervals.icu can I see the workout and the percentage agreement with the workout plan. In the web application I also have to mark the workouts as “done”. In the app I can only view the workout plan or spontaneously plan or share a workout.

I think how all of the work outs are designed is there is a warm up, main work, zone 2 if time allows, and then cool down.

The workout structure for both inside/outside are the same. The warmup goes to minute 12, the main work until minute 23, zone 2 until minute 55 and then cooldown until 60. The training load here I don’t think is meaningfully different – both the inside and outside versions of the workout have the same goal.

The outside portion simplifies the workout while the inside has more detail presumably to keep the athlete from getting bored.

Dave

Hey Dave, I think you’re right. Unfortunately switching the workout from indoor to outdoor mode has no effect on the synchronized training in intervals/TrainingPeaks :-(.
So I have manually to remove the workout and send it manually by clicking the matching button in the TrainerDay webapp.

Yes, we want to add this feature. We will.

This would bei Nice :+1:

@Alex What do you think about this point?

Hi, oh yes forgot to respond to this. The app is primarily for executing indoor training. Slowly we are adapting it for more but this is the primary purpose today. If you connect strava and have your data there you will see your completed workouts on our website. I don’t know what you mean by having to mark it as done. Meaning you can mark it as done but you don’t need to, it’s up to you. Even if you connect strava we don’t automatically pair the externally completed. So our best experience is if you use our app for indoor training. We will continue to slowly evolve to improve the outdoor experience. We do try to allow users to work in the way they want as much as possible but there are a million different combinations of how people train and what their needs are. Does that answer your questions?

Hi Dave,

for some workouts this could be correct. Here is another example from my CJ builded Training plan. If you switch here between Indoor and outdoor the difference in training load is massive:

Yes this needs to be improved.

Hi Alex,

yes, I see my completet workouts in the web app. They are also marked by “done on Strava”.
On “My Calendar” in the web app I have to mark a training as completed:

So in my case the Android app doesn’t help me that much. It would be nice if my completed trainings, which I marked as ‘completed’ in the web app and where I can find the recorded workout imported from Strava, could also appear in the progress tab (in german ‘Verlauf’) in the mobile app

Yes, the mobile app is mostly for controlling indoor training but we keep adding more and more features to it to make it better for outdoor and riders that use other apps. Like we added “Send To” to the app to make it easier to quickly send a workout some where.

1 Like