Stages SB20 owners group

If we analyze well at the 5:20 minute and at the 6:05 minute both power meters are on (4994/11484) plus the Stage SB20 but when these 3 are on, the heart rate doesn’t turn on, just disable one of them and the of heart rate turn on, minute 6:17.

I did several tests and I can never have more than 3 connected at the same time, regardless of the type of sensors

Oh sorry I did not watch it closely enough obviously… I am on iOS and here you can see I can have 4, I am sure I can add more

So either this is Android issue or issue with your specific Android device it would seem. We will test Android devices and see if we can duplicate this issue.

1 Like

Here is 4 devices connected to my motorolla Android. It would seem it is something to do with your tablet is my guess but hard to say at this point.

Sorry I see no one responded to you. Slope mode has a funny relationship to power just like outdoor slope to power. Generally people go harder up hill but it’s not a clear relationship as to how much harder. If it is 60-minutes at 5% they will output different power than 30-seconds at 5%. So really it depends on your goals and how much you want to shift. If you want to try to hit your target watts in slope mode it depends on your gearing so it’s a bit of trial and error. I would mostly play around with target slopes that are similar to outdoor slopes 2-8% range typically.

Never saw this post until now.

SB20 Power Sources

There are two ways to get power data from the SB20:

1. “Stages Bike SB20”
  2. Left Crank

The left crank is the source for power data. The SB20 bike relays power data it gets from the left crank.

Left crank is special: it also gets data from the right crank and sends combined L:R data with its power data updates.

You should try connecting only to the SB20 Bike for both bike control and power. If you start having problems like missing data, you should connect the SB20 Bike for bike control and your left crank for power.

Connection Restrictions

You need to track how you connect to devices (Ant+ or Bluetooth) and how many times.

In general, IOS and Android devices user Bluetooth. Bike computers, like Garmin, use Ant+. PCs and Mac use Bluetooth and occasionally Ant+ with a special dongle.

• “Stages Bike SB20” allows up to two Bluetooth connections and any number of Ant+ connections.

• Left Crank allows a single Bluetooth Connection and any number of Ant+ connections.

Internally - between SB20 and cranks - Stages use Ant+. There are options in the Stages Link app to use Bluetooth for this internal communication. Don’t do it! This option consumes precious Bluetooth connections. People mistaken believe Bluetooth is somehow better than Ant+. 99% of the time this statement is false. Bluetooth connections are strictly limited. Ant+ connections are not. Allow Ant+ to be used where you can.

2 Likes

11 posts were split to a new topic: ERG problems related to slope mode

so my wife has been using Trainerday for a while and has recently been complaining that the signal on the SB20 drops sometimes during her workout, forcing her to unplug/reconnect the bike to get going again. I’ve been dismissing her concerns but this week actually joined TD and had my first ride today and… signal dropout.

Some facts: bike itself is paired to TD as controllable and power and a HR monitor is paired as well. Running the app on M1 iPad Pro with the latest version of iOS (15.6 i believe). TD app is updated to latest version. As usual, before every workout I calibrate the PMs on the SB20 with the Stages app and then force close the app before starting my workout. I’m coming from Trainerroad and have used that pretty extensively over the past 2 years with zero signal dropouts. Also use Rouvy and have had zero signal dropouts with that platform, so I’m fairly convinced it’s a Trainerday issue.

My issue happened maybe 3/4 of the way through the workout after a 250 or so watt segment that then dropped to a planned 84 or so watts. I noticed that the power during the 84w segment was rather high (still 250w or so) so I slowed rpms down and that’s when i noticed that the “2” box in the top right corner for # of connected devices now was showing “1”. I was able to go there and see that only the HR was connected, not the bike. Unpaired and repaired the SB20 bike (again, not the l/r cranks) and after a couple of seconds was back in business. I’m sure my wife could do the same thing rather than getting off to unplug, but she’s not as familiar with how any of this works.

Anyway, happy to share any additional details as needed but I’d love to have this resolved. Cannot have signal dropouts from my first ride on the platform after literally none on any of the other platforms for a far longer length of use…

and again it happened today. zero resistance, just sitting there spinning the cranks with nothing registering for a good 2 min. beginning to think this app is…not good. are there any free alternatives on android or iOS (can use either) that i can load a specific workout file (say an MRC file) and have it control the bike in ERG mode?

I’ve been using TrainerDay on my Stages SB20 for well over a year now with no issues. I’m running it side loaded on a rooted Amazon Kindle Fire HD 10. While I’m performing a workout, I do need to turn off wifi just because the tablet is too gutless to multitask. But I’ve never had disconnects. Maybe it’s an issue with the way TD communicates with your particular iPad. Have you tried to run TrainerDay on your phone or another device and see? If it works from your phone I’d suggest posting a topic in the Bugs and Issues category. Alex has always been very responsive.

m1 ipad pro today and iphone 11 yesterday. next time i’ll try android via samsung s21 ultra. all i know is that this dropout thing ONLY happens in TD app. no issue with Trainer Road, Rouvy or Zwift for 2.5 years…

good suggestion on the bug forum. i’ll post there

Hi, sorry I totally missed responding to this. Did your wife give up on TD or did you get this working? I have one other user experiencing this. It seems like maybe it is an iOS issue. Would love to hear how your Android experience went.

1 Like

Alex I’ve been testing it and what happens is the following, if we stop pedaling for any length of time, when we go back to pedaling everything works correctly, the problem is if we pause, this is where things don’t work

Because when we press play again the training does not recover from the paused state, to solve what I can find out is in the following ways

When we press pause and then select SLOPE and ERG again, when we press play again everything works correctly

Another solution is if we press pause then play, it won’t work, so just do SLOPE again and then ERG and it recovers

In this test I used an Iphone 14 Pro Max with IOS version 16.1.1, with the latest version of Trainerday

On Android I don’t know if this problem exists that I haven’t tested

I’ve noticed the same behavior on an Android tablet but not just when I pause a workout. It also happens a few times during longer workouts. When the resistance is supposed to change it stays at the same level of the previous interval. My fix was to hit the percentage + then - buttons and it works again.

It almost seems like the trainer is expecting a watt target from TD but doesn’t get one or misses it until you manually force a new target. This doesn’t appear to happen during ramps as there’s a new target sent every couple of seconds.

Alex - Is there a way for TD to periodically send the target watts every n seconds or so or maybe a couple of times after starting/resuming or a wattage change?

hi alex,
i love that you took the time to get back here and remind me to follow up. it turned out that the ipad required a system update. i forget now which one it was, but after i did it i didn’t see a dropout again. i think either the app or the ipad are quite sensitive to system or app updates. the 1 or 2 issues i’ve seen since this incident were all resolved with either an apple update or a trainerday app update. so now i make sure both are up to date before either of us ride.
great stuff this app. not perfect, but still great. thanks so much for the follow up

We try to do this now. Lots of devices report errors when you send them a target wattage or say they are busy try to update later. So we try to send when ever we can but obviously there are instances where we need to send more requests and are not. Some devices get flooded with too many requests easily so we try not to over send updates. It’s some tricky balance. But now that we see something repeatable here, and I am sure that other non-SB20 users experience something similar from time to time we will dig into this further. We should be able to fix this.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for responding. Please elobrate on not-perfect :slight_smile: If you have any suggestions. We know a lot of things we need to do, including 100% rock solid stability. But if there is anything that you can share that you haven’t please do.

1 Like

Oh sure a few things, none major. No particular order:

1. The main workout page always defaults to the “20 Free App” folder regardless of whether you’ve created other folders with your workouts. I don’t see any way to change the default folder on startup

2. Every workout annoyingly records 2 hundreths of a second shorter than the actual workout time. so a 90 minute workout is 89:98m. a 45 minute workout is 44:98, 30 minutes is 29.98 and so on

3. I would love to see a real-time watt range gauge while pedaling. So if the target is 200 watts, the green range is 195 to 205 or so and I need to actively keep the needle within that range. Interestingly it looks like you’re working on something like this but I only see it on Android and when I tried it the other day it wasn’t very responsive (but that could have been my power smoothing setting at play). I don’t see it whatsoever on iOS

4. Uploaded completed workouts to Strava just have a title. Would love to see a screenshot of the completed workout image as well. It would help with advertising too probably…

5. Would love to see support for pairing and integration of other devices on screen, specifically something like the Core body temp sensor. They recently were added to Fulgaz so I know integration is possible. Just want to see something like my core temp in some corner somewhere

not possible. Not allowed by Strava. Only restricted to the bigger guys (TR/Rouvy/ etc) who has more “negotiation power”?

interesting addition. I would guess it’s entirely possible, just need to find out whats the UUID of those devices from bluetooth.org and such.

If you’re on an indoor trainer, how useful would this be I’m wondering. Typically, when I ride, i admit that I just turn on some youtube or TV and let the trainer does it job.

#1 is bug that is fixed. It should always remember your last tab. I thought this was already in the latest version available but my developer got sick so it might not have made it yet.

#2 interesting. I always use auto-extend but never hear this before. We will investigate.

#3 We kind of have this with our zones setting. It will keep you in zone but not within a + - range. It should be totally responsive, but just zone based. I will consider this for ranges as a setting also.

#4 yes as App4G pointed out this is not possible. We tried hard to get this, but they just ignore my requests. I even contacted the product manager via linkedin :slight_smile: One of my partners here at TrainerDay is friends with one of the Strava founders but I don’t want to push that avenue until we are bigger :slight_smile:

1 Like

#1 definitely not fixed. repeatable on android and ipad os

#2 yeah it sends to strava fine, but if you look in my trainerday history everything is 1 or 2 seconds short

#3 for me the hands down best practice here is doing a workout in Zwift while using the companion app. the companion app shows a gauge with the current target range. stay within that range and it’s green. fall out of it (or go to hard and overshoot) and it turns red. it’s brilliant and pretty much the only thing i ever liked about that platform. as i said, the android version of trainerday is doing SOMETHING with a green gauge and a white moving pointer under the watts window, but i’m not sure what’s going on (99% of the time i’m on iOS)

#4. understood, but maybe a workaround would be to provide a .jpg screenshot of the effort that i could then attach to strava? just something to visualize the effort if i go back and look at them in that platform. interestingly, this image already exists in Trainerday.com and i can easily scrub through the effort too. IDK maybe i’m fixating on strava too much and should just look at the trainerday history that has everything anyway lol…