Stages SB20 owners group

Hi,

I open this topic to all owners of Stages SB20 Bike.

In this topic all of the owners writhe the best settings, the best configurations, the best use of this bike, so together we can have the best configuration possible to make this bike work 110%.
I´m new with this bike, and I´m checking the best way to put this working good. So all your help is necessary for me and for future owners :slight_smile:

Let´s power this thing

I like it. I know @HighSpeed spent a lot of time with us getting slope mode working and generally getting the SB20 working well with our app. He found a lof tricks to improving his experience.

Today I did a test, what I noticed was a failure in the RPM, like every 2 or 3 seconds it went to zero and back, in ERG mode I think the reading is a little inconsistent. Then the reaction time when changing levels takes a good 10 seconds to reach the desired level

I have this RPM failure in Neo too so not just a SB20 problem but only affects a few trainers it seems.

I managed to solve this problem today, the bike has a way to configure itself, the same way has to be used in Zwift for example,

if not it doesn’t work properly either.

1 Like

The correct SB20 connection settings for TrainerDay are similar to Zwift. Power and Cadence connected to “Left Crank”. Controllable connected to “Stages Bike”. With TrainerDay you just connect to both “Left Crank” and “Stages Bike”.

TrainerDay looks at the capabilities provided by each device and automatically determines how to use them. Much better than Zwift.

The latest TrainerDay version 2.5.0 controls SB20 extremely well. Just make sure you have the settings right.

Settings > PowerMatch: Off ← Very important
Settings > Other Options > Sim/Slope Mode: On

I use Erg Mode for recovery blocks up to 300W and other efforts longer than one minute. For everything else I use Slope mode. I do mostly HIIT workouts. Here’s an example. 15 minutes of warmup near FTP. Then 6 HIIT intervals @ 2-3X FTP. The SB20 does these workouts with no complaints - and lots of pain. I just love it.

As you can see from today’s workout summary, the SB20 tracks the planned workout very well. Sometimes Slope mode intervals have higher watts than planned - but that’s because I was pedalling faster. Unlike Erg mode, faster pedalling generates higher watts. Like it should!

3 Likes

Hi,

Today I’ve been doing some tests and I ran into some problems, I don’t know if I’m the one doing something wrong, but…

1 - I can’t pair more than 3 bluetooth devices, even though the Tablet pairs and finds them all available to be paired, the application cannot see them.

2 - Another question is,
it will be possible to record the data for each leg to analyze the balance between the two and export them to the file, better still there are some chances during an exercise to see this data, for those who come from an injury in one of the legs this was very interesting in order to regain the best possible balance.
3 - When I connect the 2 Left/Right power meters sometimes the watts match what is intended, other times they are half of the intended value, which requires selecting the “double single side power” option

See attached video to see the bluetooth problems

Hello to me this looks like your 11484 device is not available for connecting. I don’t think the problem has anything to do with 3-devices. My guess is this is some kind of stages bike configuration as to what power meters are available.

We have had others ask for L/R recording but so far I have avoided it :slight_smile: and what people do is record with their Garmin or wahoo for deeper analysis and use our app for controlling the trainer. It’s probably better not to connect both L and R to our app.

This is a super interesting chat! I am also an SB20 rider and am excited to try the slope mode. What slope value should I start with on my above FTP intervals?

If we analyze well at the 5:20 minute and at the 6:05 minute both power meters are on (4994/11484) plus the Stage SB20 but when these 3 are on, the heart rate doesn’t turn on, just disable one of them and the of heart rate turn on, minute 6:17.

I did several tests and I can never have more than 3 connected at the same time, regardless of the type of sensors

Oh sorry I did not watch it closely enough obviously… I am on iOS and here you can see I can have 4, I am sure I can add more

So either this is Android issue or issue with your specific Android device it would seem. We will test Android devices and see if we can duplicate this issue.

1 Like

Here is 4 devices connected to my motorolla Android. It would seem it is something to do with your tablet is my guess but hard to say at this point.