Trainer Day App - Power Based Rowing

Hi - I noticed in settings in the Android App a setting that has choices for 4 power-based sports, including rowing. It’s unclear what that setting actually changes or what it’s intended to be used for.
Is there any information on this?

Thanks,
Michael

Funny, you are the first person to ask. This was primarily done for a product called Vasa Swim ERG (they are launching new version with Bluetooth very soon)

I know one of the VP’s there and he said their is no good app for swimmers. They currently mostly use TrainerRoad but when they save the workout they have to go and change it from cycling to swimming in TrainingPeaks and Strava for example. So not an idea experience. I assued the same is true for power based rowers so I added them too. I did not want to negatively affect cyclists because that is who we really care about this but this seemed like a low impact way to solve the primary problem.

Ah, so all it does is change the activity type when exported to other sites?

Right now it also uses speed from the device instead of our magic algorithm for cycling. So in the case of swimming that means it automatically sets to 200mm for “wheel size.” But yes the main and we could say only benefit is setting the activity type.

I would also see some rowing machines support in TD. That would be a killer-feature for sure!

We support rowing machines now, meaning if they are power based rowing. I think it should work with the newer concept 2 trainers for example. I don’t know about others. But if people start telling me they are multi-sport athletes using our app we will need to add multiple profiles (or different FTP for different device types).

I was not sure if the Concept2 is the only one or are there any others too?

Ah, well you already know I’m a multi-sport athlete and do rowing on a Concept2 with power.

Do you ever use our app for that?

I haven’t. I use EXR for guiding my trainings. But I’d love to be able to plan them more with TD.

Cool. We are going to keep working on multi-sport options.

Hello again from Mallorca Alex! I have a water rower First degree Fitness Viking 3 V with ble module. And the connection with app works perfect, and all the data are read perfectly.
Thanks to add the chance to use rowing with your app.

I would like to make som suggestions, all about the creation of workouts for rowing.
Would be perfect be able to add fields overall like distance and power. For exemple 1000 meters at 100 w.
Not only distance or split rythm. I think is a little bit limited.

The best exemple with one of the best apps easy and simple that I’ve used is coxswain.
If you have a “waterrower machine” it’s perfect on the smartphone. But doesn’t work perfectly with others brands.
Big numbers, when you set a distance, the app start a countdown until 0. if you add at distance a watt limit for this 1000m you see big numbers, and the field of power show you the value with green field when you .in the limit, (+00, +07,+010…)… if you stroke down limit appears the power with a red field with -01, -011, for exemple.

Sorry for my english. I hope you could take a look at the app… rowing is more stronger than biking, and could be fantastic add this features. The app for biking is perfect, but when you row you need to focus in a clear field or 2 fields as much.

Cosxwain Adroid

Take a look at coxswain and is funcionality if you can…

Hi, wow… Mallorca, I remember, you are so lucky :slight_smile:

It’s a bit hard to explain this but distance based is a very complicated problem. Our app is based on moving forward 1 second at a time, and this is even surprisingly complicated. So if we move forward based on time, then how long it takes to complete an interval is unknown in the case of distance based intervals. I think this is why no one displays an interface with a chart like ours for distance based events. The intervals would need to keep changing size based on current speed. This would be problematic / confusing and likely cause performance issues. For distance based we could switch to more like the C2 view but then it kind of lowers the value of our app.

I do agree for rowers we need to do more to make it useful. I will consider your ideas.