Wahoo Element integration (Push workouts to Wahoo Elemnt)

Hi amg61, yes I keep begging them to create a public API for this but currently they don’t have one and wont’ let small guys like us in yet. I am even friends with the lead developer working on their public API but it’s still not happening. Nothing we can do. I am Wahoo user myself.

Alex - thanks for explaining. That is frustrating but I guess we’ll just have to wait.

I talked to Wahoo about 3-months ago and they said this is the top priority on their public API but they are currently not working on the public API … They said they hope to have this ready by the end of 2021.

1 Like

Anything moving on this front?
Have you talked to the Karoo guys? Smaller, maybe better chance to succeed… Also Android based. They added Xert to their internal App Store

Sorry Marco, nothing yet. I will contact them in October to see what they say. Being a great fan of technology I would like to build an app that works on Karoo but we are still too small at this point. I don’t think there are enough Karoo users for us but I can see why it makes more sense for Aramando/Xert. You can create a separate request for that and if it gets popular I would consider it sooner.

1 Like

Here is the response from Wahoo. Optimistic this year is not too bad of response. But still not yet…

I guess that the planned workout API work did not get done last year at Wahoo? Do you have any update on whether they still try to prioritise it?

The expensive alternative is a Trainerday subscription for basically this feature only (otherwise intervals.icu works equally well for me).

I guess you mean TP subscription. My guy at Wahoo is not responding lately but with Wahoo promoting SYSTM maybe they don’t want to. I think us creating a Plan file export might improve things a little, especially for those that wan to follow a calendar.

Thanks! Yes of course I mean TrainingPeaks. TD is not expensive :wink:

As I have the workouts in the intervals.icu calendar anyways, exporting the .mrc file there and uploading it via cable to my Elemnt Roam is possible. However, this is quite cumbersome (computer, cable, an extra “sync” on the Elemnt). Furthermore the workout is not associated with a specific date on the Elemnt either (but I guess it wouldn’t be either if there was an integration between TD and Wahoo).

It would be a real pity if Wahoo would go down the way of locking users into their own ecosystem, instead of standardising, opening up interfaces and competing by developing great features.

Yes that is why if we or David generate plan files with a date it would work in you’re Elemt showing on the right day. You could load a full month at a time, I think. I still need to test this to see the experience but TP is obviously the best solution currently.

is wahoo still not updating their cloud API?

Sadly no. I am not getting any response from my resource there. I also have a friend that is the lead developer for their Cloud API. He is not great at responding either but I will ask him if there is any progress :). My thinking is they might not want to do this because now that they have Systm they want to push users to that. We are planning on generating .plan files so you could load your “calendar” directly in your device file but still not as good as direct integration.

2 Likes

So we did one thing to improve Wahoo users experience with using our calendar. Premium users can download 1 month’s of .plan files and copy them to your Elemnt. These files have the date in them so they will show up on the right day on your device.

2 Likes

This works really well but the feature is a bit hidden.
How about a getting started guide for Wahoo users which lists the transfer options? If I didn’t follow the forum threads on this topic I wouldn’t have noticed this download link at all.

Yes I am working on that. Thanks for suggesting it though.

Is this still an ongoing process? If I download a plan to my Elemnt and it puts them in on the correct workout days, am I able to do them on another date if I want/need to?

You would need to use our calendar and just move them in the calendar and download the .plan files. Does this make sense or am I confused?

Thanks Alex. I think that makes sense. Basically, the workout would need to be moved in TrainerDay, rather than on my Elemnt. Do you have an update on pushing workouts to Wahoo head units by any chance?

You can do it now by connecting your Wahoo to TraingPeaks (TP), and our Calendar to TP. But Wahoo has gone silent on allowing direct integration.

1 Like

Putting any MRC Workout on a Wahoo device through USB cable is simple :

1. convert MRC file to Wahoo plan file format using https://github.com/ManuelWiese/mrc_tools
    python mrc_to_wahoo_plan.py workout.mrc
    (if you’re using windows) dos2unix workout.plan
  2. on your Wahoo mounted as a MTP device, create a folder named “plans”
    i.e. “This PC\ELEMNT-BOLT\USB storage\plans”
  3. copy workout.plan to “This PC\ELEMNT-BOLT\USB storage\plans”
  4. on your wahoo, go to “Planned Workout”, and Synchronize