Wahoo Kickr Rollr & Trainerday : match made in heaven?

After the Elite Tuo disaster, I kept on searching for a trainer solution for my specific needs. I need a trainer that I can easily swap bikes and the main use will be Zone 2 HR based workouts (the key feature of Trainerday imo :slight_smile: ).

A lot of hours of searching and reading, I decided to go for the Kickr Rollr. First test : brilliant.

Installation and setup was a piece of cake, even if my setup is not as simple as it could be if Garmin would allow activity uploads. Setting up the trainer using the Wahoo app, connecting the power sensor. Then go into Trainerday : voila… The extra was I connect it also to a Garmin device, which also worked. In less than 5 minutes, I had a bike setup, the trainer setup, Trainerday working and a Garmin device capturing the workout.

What is the real plus of this setup : the ride comfort on rollers is the best I’ve had on any trainer. OK, I never tried the “moving” new generation of smart trainers. Too expensive. This does make a big difference. On a “normal” trainer, doing 60 minutes of riding is about a much as I can handle. Then I need a break. Just for comfort reasons. The feeling on this setup is totally different. The back wheel is moving, which makes all the difference.

The negative : like it is explained everywhere, keeping power is not a the same level as a “normal” smart trainer. Funny I can even share the data:
This is on the Rollr:
Trainer Day - Activity Detail
This is on a normal smart trainer:
Trainer Day - Activity Detail

What is “funny” about this, is that most likely the power on this Rollr is more reflecting the reality of an outdoor ride. If feels more natural. Of course, it does also mean if you would buy the Rollr for ERG HIIT sessions, it’s probably not ideal.

One other user has a problem with our slope mode with a Rollr. But that was before we made some changes. Wonder how this works for you as I never got final confirmation from you. Yeah I would say focus on the pleasure of the ride and absolute power numbers do not matter. It’s all relative anyway.

I have to admit I never ever used slope mode :slight_smile: not with this trainer, not with any other. When I want to ride up a slope, I just have to go outside :slight_smile: But I’m happy to check in a couple of weeks. The trainer is going to the South of France, where it will be used.
I’m happy to try the slope mode when I’m there :slight_smile:

No problem, you don’t need to test unless you are interested. I don’t know if sprinting is better on rollers or smart trainer… for sprinting slope mode is especially interesting. Enjoy your trip. Sounds great.

Sprinting is not one of the things I’m training :slight_smile: probably the reason I never looked into slope mode. Having said that: sprinting is one of the things where the rollers are less suitable for. I does work, but you get a bouncing effect when you slow down. Short intervals will be another topic where they are less suitable for. I do these in the winter, I the summer I prefer to do those sessions outdoors.
But no worries, I’m will be using the training in the week of June 10th and I will test the slope feature. Small effort and if somebody is helped with it, I’m happy !

Sure, I think the other Rollr user gave up on me or stopped using his rollr for the summer as he did not verify if our last fix fixed it. He only likes slope mode, probably not for sprinting but it’s just more critical for sprinting on a smart trainer anyway.