Which devices do I need to properly train with Trainer Day?

Hi all,

my question would be, what kind of devices I need - in general - to properly train with Trainer Day indoors and outdoors. Maybe with additional information about “minimal setup” and “optimal setup”.

For indoor, I’m thinking a minimal setup would be a home trainer w/o power meter and only cadance sensor (to generate virtual power), and optimal would be a power based bike trainer or roll (like any of the Tacx or Wahoo trainers to which you attach your road bike, sending your power value via bluetooth), a heart rate monitor, and a cadance sensor?

For outdoor, I have absolutely no idea. Do I need power sensors on my road bike padles? Is there a different way? Since I don’t have a Garmin or Wahoo device attached to my bike, but only use my iPhone for tracking my speed and route, I’m not familiar with the way they facilitate workouts.

Thanks in advance for all answers!
Erik

For indoor I imagine minimal is speed sensor? Cadence (which comes before the gearing) might not be enough information? Optimal is a smart trainer, either wheel-on or direct drive (replaces rear wheel). The smart trainer can work in ERG mode which will auto-magically control your power output. Heart rate monitor is optional. Almost all smart trainers will output cadence as well.

I don’t have experience here but for outdoor I assume optimal would be some kind of power meter (on crank, pedal, or hub) and either the Trainer Day app or a bike computer to direct the workout.

Part of the question here is how much do you want to exactly track? Do you want to follow a general training plan or do you want an exact power profile while you’re doing the workout? For example, you might not need an exact power profile on a long outdoor ride at Z2/Z3 since this is not an intense ride, mostly just time on a bike.

Personally, I have a smart trainer so I’ll do the high intensity intervals indoors where I can measure the power profile accurately. Once the weather is decent again, I’ll do my outdoor rides with a GPS app and a heart rate monitor (since I don’t have a power meter).

1 Like

Hi Erik, you will have a significantly better experience and much more accuracy if you buy a power meter. Something like Assinoma single sided pedal is fine. This is great solution for outdoors. For indoors the best experience is a direct drive smart trainer (well smart bikes might be better but much more expensive). Something like a Wahoo Kick Core, or a Tacx Flux S are the most common lower priced options. If you want you can just use a power meter and buy any indoor trainer such as rollers, or a dumb trainer. It really depends on your budget. I would not use a speed sensor if you can afford something better, but in worst case you can use a speed sensor indoors with a roller or dumb trainer but outdoors it would be difficult if not impossible. You can also get something like a 4iii or stages power meter for $299. So best budget setups are around $500 but significantly better would be closer to $1000-1200 for both indoor and outdoor.

I got myself a crank based XCadey powermeter: you can use it for your training sessions indoors or outdoors.