Zone 2 - Minimum wattage?

I am running the latest ios beta and doing a zone 2 workout to vary from my calendar. My target hr is 126. After 10 mn, i reached 138 and the power went down but as the power went down, i spin faster and my hr stays around 138. It seems like my trainer’s lowest watts is 70 as trainer day does not go below that. So, during my 45 mn training, my average was 133. Can trainer day be able to get back to my target hr ?

I not sure I understand 100% but sounds like two options. Spin slower and/or shift to easier gear.

I use erg mode. Could trainer day lower the watts more or is it a limitation of my trainer that cannot go below a certain threshold ?i recall when this feature was introduced to have an average of 126 after 45 mn but I could have spun slower though. Seems like I am getting faster.

Trainers have a minimum resistance not a minimum wattage. So if you shift to a lower gear the same resistance will be lower watts and lower heart rate.

Why are you using ERG Mode and not HR Mode?

1 Like

Using hr mode but the trainer is using erg to change the resistance. I do not switch gear.

You need to switch gears :slight_smile: Go to easier gear, it will work.

I can’t find the source of the recommended gear setting at the moment. From what I remember, it’s a small chainring at the front and a center sprocket at the rear. So that the chain is in a straight line.
@pierrotsc A cause-and-effect occurs. You’re spinning fast, your muscles need oxygen, so your heart has to give more of it.
I think so. :slightly_smiling_face:

That’s actually what I use small/middle, i think it seems like best choice but if you are trying to really hit minimum wattage and can’t get low enough then you need to shift down.

1 Like

My former wheel-on trainer was minimal 70w, no matter what gear with cadence around 70.
My actual direct drive can go down to 40w at cadence 80-90 with straight chain gear on the small ring.

I tried to switch my back gears to the biggest one and although it made it easier, it stayed at 70 W. because spinning was easier, my rpm increased and my hr stayed the same :slight_smile: I cannot switch my front gear to the smallest as my road bike is 45 years old and i have the old switches and it needs to be tuned up.
That is really no big deal. I’d rather get faster than trying to spin slower. I was just wondering about trainers limitations.

I did some testing on that. In a workout, i had my last 5 m at 80 W watts for recovery. I clicked the minus button a few times to have the power down to 40. Well, the trainer went down to 40 and i was spinning really fast. So trainer day is able to tell the trainer to go below 70. Today, after a sprint workout, i decided to finish with 20 mn of zone 2. When i started the workout, my HR was at 140 and my target HR at 126. Trainer day did not go below 70 to lower my hr and i was not really spinning fast this time. I ended up with a 20 mn zone 2 training at 71W average. It seems like trainer day is able to tell the trainer to go at least to 40 W but the zone 2 algorithm has a minimum of 70W.

Oh that’s interesting. Maybe I have some kind of limits of power%vs HR% I will check my code.

no worry. Just let me know what you find out. i checked the specs for the trainer and it says it oes from 0 to 2200 watts. so it seems like if i create a workout in trainer day at 40 watts, it will get 40 watts. on Wednesday, i will try to run a workout at 20 watts just to see before i do a real workout.

I find I have to lower cadence as well to get Hr on target. Otherwise it takes forever to hit the target

1 Like

Ok there was a bug that the minim wattage was 50% of FTP. I have adjusted it to 40% and will be available in a week or so. There will be new build today/tomorrow that will not have this change.

Alex, if you release a new IOS beta with that fix, i can check it out. Seems like 40% of ftp for me is 73 watts. I would need a lot lower than that. But i could be wrong.

I think trying to combine high cadence and MAF heart rate in the same workout does not make sense. When people are trying to do low heart rate training they are trying to be as gentle as possible to avoid stressing their body. You should focus on relaxing, deep breathing… not high cadence :slight_smile:

Agree but high cadence at 40 watts does not put any load on my heart and it will go down. So if you can have the algorithm to decrease the resistance lower then it should work.

I am a bit worried as it requires a lot more changes to go below 40%, we will start with this. It’s not just load on your heart it includes your mind thinking is this exercise or is this a walk in the park. If you mind thinks it’s exercise it’s more likely to switch to carbs for fuel. This workout objective is very fragile, so it’s better to play it safe. Save your cadence drills for other workouts. (this is my opinion, obviously do whatever you want :slight_smile: )