100 mile MTB plans?

I am trying to find a 100 mile MTB training plan. I haven’t found one in the database. If there is such a program and I am just not searching correctly, please let me know. Interested in something to prep for LT100 in August.
Thanks

Coach Jack is the solution :wink:

1 Like

I’ve tried that - I may be missing something but it never asks about the distance type of event. If it is a 100 mile ride where is that accounted for? Just “long day” as the peak type? I would think the distance is important in the build period as well but I don’t see that. I am new to biking - long distance running in the past - but would expect some of the distance accounted for in the build period.

Distance is less relevant and it does ask expected duration. Generally you want to slowly build up a weekly long ride until you get to around 50-70% of the event duration as similar to riding terrain as possible. Right now the consistency and not doing too much too soon is most important. Later in the last 4-8 weeks prior to the even you need to get more specific.

AGree w/ Alex, your best bet is to slowly increase the duration up to the expected time (or say 80% of the duration you expect to finish your event) . since you have long distance running experience, the training stress / style would be approximately the same.

You can also choose to train based on the expected TSS(or Load) you will experience on the event. Then build up to it.

YOu can use intervals.icu to plan your training and use the the FITNESS chart to monitor / plan your progress.

1 Like

As much as I like intervals, and your suggestion here has merit. I think training to TSS is a risky approach when used by most cyclists, better used by a coach that understands the underlying physiological benefits of specific training intensities based on where the rider is in their season. Training to TSS/CTL frequently drives the wrong behavior in training. Cyclists obsess about maximizing CTL which comes at the expense of proper training, they start trying to substitue intensity for duration which is a very slippery slope. Dr Seiler talks about this chasing numbers problems, and FTP, CTL and TSS are the worst culprits of this.

Due to this chasing numbers problem is why I suggest/advise training focused on event duration because you can go out and ride and have fun and just try to build up your time in the saddle, get in a bit of slowly increasing structured training, not kill yourself adding more and more intensity because you are a bit behind in your CTL targets.

I do feel that a PMC chart and especially TSB is very useful but when you get obsessed with daily/weekly TSS or CTL you frequently run into problems. This is not just my opinion but the opinion of many. I realize that many cyclists love chasing numbers and trying to maximize their CTL but usually a few seasons of this and they are burned out and come to more Polarized Training :slight_smile: I would say do what is fun for you but just be carful if you are trying to add intensity to make up for reduced time.

Polarized training is anti-CTL… Coach Jack is both mostly Polarized as well as trying to keep TSB in check.

1 Like