Base or Build period most important?

In Joe Friels’s book “Ride Inside”, Joe describes a training plan with 12 weeks Base training, 8-9 week Build, 1-2 weeks Peak and then the event week.

My cycle club is planing to have 150 km event in 15 may, which I planing to participate in. But I’m already to late, if I’m going to follow Joe’s plan suggestion. So what shall I do? What part shall do less of? Base or build, or both?

It’s great to see you asking these questions. So to answer your question is it is hard to know what you specifically need (a coach / deeper analysis would help). But generally if you are really healthy, no injuries and feel reasonably rested spending more energy on the build period is likely going to produce better results.

I agree with @Alex . Probably build would be your best. However, as Friel suggests, the closer to your goal event should become much more like the event you are looking to complete. So if your 150km event on May 15 has relatively low intensity, your “Build” phase will have quite a bit of volume and will therefore help out your overall “base” (as Friel defines those terms)

Good point Jeremy. I agree 100%. Build might look idential to base in this case. Just focus on slowly and carefully building hours paying attention to how you feel and taking rest days and rest weeks along the way.

Good point Jeremy. I agree 100%. Build might look idential to base in this case. Just focus on slowly and carefully building hours paying attention to how you feel and taking rest days and rest weeks along the way.