Concept2 BikeErg - Not Working

Hey Support!

I very recently purchased a Concept2 BikeErg bike to try and regain some fitness.

After researching the options I decided I liked the look of TrainerDay and went ahead and purchased the premium subscription. Turns out I’m a wally and should have checked the app worked with my bike first (it doesn’t seem to). Its a bit odd as this is the first app I’ve had issue with (also the last one I tried pretty much).

Anyway I’ve tried with an Android phone, an Android Tablet, an iPad and also an IPhone.

Both Android devices show a single listed devices as Smart Trainer (PM5) then after clicking the + it goes from green, to blue to orange. Then all I get is Power and no RPM.

Both Apple devices show the device as "Speed and Cadence (PM5) with a virtual power curve listed. The device goes green. But I just get RPM with the wrong power. If I disconnect from the “Speed and cadence” and try again I get the “Smart Trainer (PM5)” listed like with the Android device and then I am back to Power but no RPM.

I wouldn’t mind using an Apple device if I had to but I can’t seem to get it working with both power and RPM whatever I try.

Any ideas? Is my device not compatible?

Cheers

Tim

Hi Tim, we can refund you money if it does not work. Tomorrow I will research if it should work with our app (supports FTMS) and if it does if you wanted you could work with my developer and we should be able to fix it.

Hi Alex - thanks for replying so quickly.

Yeah I’m happy to do what I can to help get it working with Trainerday if it supports FTMS.

Just let me know what you need, ideally I’d prefer to get it working on Android (selfishly) but if Apple IOS is easier just let me know.

Cheers

Tim

Android will be there easier :slight_smile: but when fixed it will work on both. I will let you know.

Here are two posts that are basically stating that the BikeERG is not following standard protocols of FTMS, although it is “kind of FTMS.”

https://www.c2forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=187832

It sounds like Ant+ works in standard format on your bike (we need to confirm this). In this case you could purchase a $50 NPE Cable device. You would need to use iOS to configure it but once configured you could use your android device. This would give you compatibility with many apps not just ours.

One user here says Ant+ works

Also I should state if you have an Android device that supports Ant+ we are working on adding Ant+ and hopefully it will be out in the next month assuming we don’t run into any serious problems.

Hi Alex - cheers for getting back to me so quickly.

It looks like there is some conflicting info around FTMS as later down the same thread a Software rep from Concept 2 gets involved and states:

Hi Trainer Road Folks,

I work on software for Concept2 and currently the BikeErg supports Bluetooth Cycling Power, Speed and Candence, and FTMS services which are standard services. The Bike works with most of the other apps that I know of (Zwift, Sufferfest, Rouvy, etc…). Would it be possible to put me in touch with your dev team so we can work out the compatibility issues?

Thanks!
Mike

I wonder if their would be any value in trying to get TrainerDay Devs and Concepts2 Devs in touch with each other?

Concept2 devices aren’t listed as compatible against the CABLE device, so its probably not a sure fire solution. I think because of that for me this would offer little value unless I knew it would work with the Concept2 as every other app I have tried works direct with the Concept2s Bluetooth (RGT, Zwift, BKOOL, Rouvy).

I do have a very old Galaxy S8 sat in the cupboard with Ant+ built in so could dig that out once your development on Ant+ is complete. I did also see that some Android devices support USB Host support (with an Ant+ dongle) see link below. So perhaps that would be an option with my current phone also once dev is complete.

ANT+ in Phones and Tablets - THIS IS ANT

Would it be possible to cancel\refund my subscription for now please? And then I’ll keep an active eye on the development and hopefully be golden once Ant+ is ready to go (unless of course the two devs team manage to iron something out of course).

If you do need a guinea pig in the mean time I’m happy to still help with apps and my concept2!

Cheers

Tim

P.S I wonder if its still worth looking at FTMS as the Concept2 rep also says this in response to a query on the status of the issue with TRoad. If there is anything I can do as I say, let me know.

Hi Steve,
I believe TrainerRoad is working on this. I don’t think Concept2 has any work to do for compatibility as we adhere to the various wireless standards, although, Concept2 is ready to help as soon as we hear what the issue is from TrainerRoad engineering.
Best,
Mike

Oh I saw that but mis-read it. Ok I have a faster/better option if you want. Just contact me at support@trainerday.com and you can work with my developer and he can give you an Android debug version and he can troubleshoot the issue. It requires working together at the same time for usually 30-60 minutes.

Of course thank you - will email shortly and we can go from there.