Concept2 BikeErg Issues

Morning all - back in Jan last year I had some issues with TrainerDay and my Concept2 BikeErg which you kindly helped sort out with the help of your dev and a short debug capture session with my bike (thanks again!).

The original thread was here Concept2 BikeErg - Not Working

Unfortunately I’ve come back to my cycle after a break and have new issues - this time I get RPM but no Power (rather than incorrect power) on my Android device. I have tried with both BT and Ant (as I have a dongle and both produce the same problem.

I wonder if it would be possible to fix this?

Thanks

Tim

We recently updated our bluetooth library and that seemed to break some specific devices. I have a C2 rower so it should work the same as your bike (PM5) so I will test this soon and we will get it fixed.

Thanks Alex - yeah I use PM5 also on my bike.

Let me know if you need any data or help from myself

Thanks

Tim

Morning Alex - hope you’re all good.

Any joy with the PM5 diagnostics, do you need anything from me at this stage as happy to help if needed.

Cheers

Tim

Hi Tim I am writing you PM.

Hi Alex,

I’ve tried to connect TrainerDay on Android with my ErgRow PM 5, latest Firmware (V 37) is installed.

It connects on the same device like a charm with the ErgData-App, however TD doesn’t find the device. I made sure that ErgData is not running, and the ErgRow shows that it is not connected to any device - so it should be available. I can directly connect it to the device (but this won’t make it available to TD). So I deleted the connection again.

As said, I’d have expected TD to show it as device. It finds actually all the nearby devices (Kickr-Bike, Tacx-Bike, Stryd) but the ErgRow PM 5 doesn’t appear.

If you have any advice I would be very grateful.

Which version of TrainerDay do you have? I have C2/ERGRow/PM5 and it worked fine the other day when I tested. I did test iOS but I could try Android it should be the same.

Version 4.4.2 (Dec 31, 2023)

I add a screenshot of TD and a photo of the PM5 while searching with TD.

My C2 is outside (covered) and it is -10C here but I will test it soon just to make sure there is no problem with 4.4.2 and my C2.

1 Like

What I found out in the meantime is, that it connects via ANT+ but not via Bluetooth. I have an old tablet, that is capable of ANT+ and it connected via ANT+. The other devices that can only connect via BT did not connect with TD - the connected however with ErgData and ErgZone.

What you might need to do is make sure your C2 is not connected directly to your phone in the phone settings/bluetooth. This can block our app from seeing it. Also make sure no other apps or devices are connected to it.

I made sure of both the things. I as well tried with a tablet that was never connected to the C2 and it couldn’t find the C2 in TD.

So ANT+ works but BT doesn’t. ErgData and ErgZone both connect smoothly on the phone but TD wouldn’t.

Strange. You might want to clear storage and reinstall our app. I just did both of these and then connected no problem (other than it is cold :))

1 Like

Well I guess I have an idea what could be the reason.

Looking at Kinomap (who can also connect to my C2) there are two hardware versions of C2-PM5, which are somehow so different that they need a different option to connect. Mine seems to be lower than 600.

One more info here, as this might help those who have the same issues. Using PainSled or RowedBiker on a separate device, thus broadcasting the data, should work. Not an expensive solution (if you have a second device at home anyway) and you have a lot more data on the second screen.

Oh sorry I forgot about this. Are you Android or iOS? Did you try updating C2 firmware?

It’s Android, but I think it’s fine with PainSled as workaround. I’ll go with this setup.

So don’t worry, and invest your time in something else.

Let me ask my developer. There should be a good app to test what services that C2 supports. If it is standard cycling power like mine then fixing it should be pretty easy.

NRF Connect. That’s what I would use.

1 Like

So, I tried the connection through PainSled today. A few strange things happened however, and I don’t know if this is related to the type of connection or to something else:

• Neither speed nor distance were shown, only power. As I want to train with power this is no problem for me, however.
  • The workout however was something different than what I planned. Have a look:

This is the workout as it is in the database here

This is the workout, as I had to perform it

As you can see, there is no ramp but only a constant beginning, and if you look very closely you can see that the times for each interval don’t match either, i.e. the definition for the more intense parts is 30 secs each (WO ending at 08:30). In the workout I did, it was 45 secs each. I thought, I might have chosen a wrong workout, so I did a search of the database, but there is only one with that name in the database (taking a total of 10:43).

Additional Info, I just found out, after posting:
When I plan the workout it is shown in the calendar correctly, however I have connected Intervals.icu and there it is shown as a distance based workout instead of a time based. It seems somehow, that even though, distance is not recorded it is somehow connected to the issue.