Core Exercise Science Study

So, generally everything I have read about cycling training put strength training in the not-so crtical stand point for performance for the typical rider. I always felt it was a good idea for reducing injuries and likely helps a little performance but people short on time are usually better off spending more time on the bike. Well here is a study showing clearly that is not necessarily true.

This study provided by Andrea points out they made a clear corelation to core training and immediate cycling performance results.

https://www.hammondcycling.com/cycling-core-exercises/

Sucks, wish he wouldn’t have sent it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Seems to have overlap with the McGill Big 3 exercises that I’ve been too lazy to do :rofl:

This is crazy. Like you and according to all my readings, I had the idea that strength exercises should be done in the preseason to a greater extent and as progress the seasson decrease until almost even disappear. According to the literature, it is only necessary to perform a strength session every 7 or 10 days to maintain the strength gained in the preseason, and even with the limited time of an amateur, I give priority to training on the bike than doing long workouts in gyms. But this protocol is really short and quick to do.

Now I see that this protocol is tested for a very short section of just 1.5 km, would it also apply for longer distances, will that 10% gain be maintained in 80 km?

That’s the problem with scientific studies, they are usually not long enough to come to any concrete facts but you have to assume it will likely have a positive effect in season too but hard to say for sure. I will ask Andrea what he thinks regarding increased distance.