Cycling out of the saddle and the HR mode

And interesting tip… For those following channels like GCN, there was recently an interesting video on cycling out of the saddle. While some riders do that a lot and seems to be having a big advantage, some others (like me :slight_smile: ) are simply not able to do it. Yes, for 10 seconds… Then my heartrate goes through the roof… In the video they compared 2 of their presenters and came to the conclusion : this is very different by individual but also : it must be trainable. Let’s be honest : when I came last summer in the last 5k of the Col de la Loze, I wish I could do it better. Gradients of 20% above 2000m altitude are kind of hard doing in the saddle when you have already climbed 30+k that day…

So while getting slowly into winter mode, I did some Sweet Spot intervals using the HR mode and got an idea : what if I try doing 5 minutes out of the saddle. So I tried and … wow, it worked great! The interesting thing about it : the app keeps your HR at the target (don’t put it in zone2, that will not work, mine was in zone4). And it adjusts the smart trainer power to keep you in that HR target area. Yes, of course the cadence came down, which is exactly the point. I could do a standing effort for 5 minutes while keeping the HR under control. Morning after feedback : yes, I do feel it… But this is another big benefit for the HR based setup. Planning to doing that in every SST session this winter. If it’s true this is trainable, that should bring a major benefit.
Note : the only downside… While the fan was on at full speed, the sweat started dripping down just like I was on a real alpine climb. My phone is fixed to a Garmin mount on the handlebars… Need to find a solution for that, after 5 minutes the phone was drowning :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, this is very interesting. Yes I am sure there is no way I could do z2 out of the saddle unless cadence = 0. :slight_smile: I will have to play with this though.

To give you some number : I’m 70kg, middle of zone4 is around 145bpm. I did 5 minutes out of the saddle which averaged around 190W. At a cadence of 55-60.

(the averages indicated are the ones of the full ride, some Garmin strange behavior.